Suffolk University is pleased to announce the career opportunity as Nurse Practitioner. The full-time Nurse Practitioner will join a dedicated team of health professionals in the Counseling, Health & Wellness Center (CHW) at Suffolk University, an integrated care setting composed of Health Services, Counseling Services, and Wellness Education. Reporting to the Director of Medical Operations, the Nurse Practitioner provides health care for Suffolk University undergraduate and graduate students in accordance with university, state and federal rules and regulations and nursing standards of care (assessment of health status, diagnosis, development of plan of care, implementation of treatment plan, and evaluation of patient status). CHW Nurse Practitioners operate under a Collaborative Practice Agreement with a collaborating MD. In addition to clinical service delivery, all CHW staff have the opportunity to collaboratively develop and implement educational materials for students and engage in outreach to the campus community.
Successful candidates will bring an interest in multi-disciplinary and holistic approaches to student health in a higher education setting, an interest in working with diverse populations, and an awareness of healthcare disparities and culturally responsive treatment approaches. CHW is committed to providing culturally responsive services to the diverse population students at Suffolk University. For this reason, CHW staff members participate in ongoing professional development related to diversity and inclusion.
- Provide direct patient care on a regularly scheduled basis in compliance with CHW protocols, policies and procedures. Provide daily walk-in for urgent care as well as scheduled appointments for non-urgent issues.
- Conduct thorough history and physical exams, develop and implement plans of care, collaboratively with each patient, based on patient's presenting concern.
- Order, interpret, and evaluate diagnostic tests to identify patient's health care needs.
- Perform blood draws, and administer intramuscular, subcutaneous, and intradermal injections.
- Provide educational tools in the course of treatment.
- Prescribe appropriate pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatment modalities.
- Appropriately refer patients off-campus for consultation or treatment with specialized health providers/resources for specialized healthcare needs.
- Assist with CHW Health outreach to students identified by the Week-in-Review and Student of Concern Committees.
- Maintain ongoing communications and collaboration with counseling, health, and wellness providers and staff.
- Complete required documentation in an accurate and timely manner using electronic and other medical records.
- Act in compliance with university policies, procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure effective interactions with patients and families.
- Actively participate in the quality improvement processes undertaken by CHW and the Student Affairs Division, to which CHW belongs.
- Attend and participate in department meetings, as required.
- Act in compliance with regulatory and professional standards and guidelines.
- Participate in and/or provide in-service education sessions.
- Perform other duties, as assigned by the Director of Counseling, Health and Wellness and/or the Director of Medical Operations.
- Massachusetts APRN licensure as Adult or Family Nurse Practitioner.
- AANP or ANCC board accreditation.
- Ability to work independently and as part of the Health Services Team.
- Strong general medical knowledge.
- Interest and ability to work with a diverse patient population.
- Commitment to interdisciplinary practice and holistic approaches to overall health.
- 2-5 years of experience as a NP providing primary medical care to late adolescents/young adults preferred.
- Experience providing services working with historically underrepresented populations including Black/African American, Indigenous/First Nations, Latinx, Asian/Asian American/Pacific Islander, Multiracial and other students of Color, international students, and/or students who identify as LGBTQIA+ preferred.
- Healthcare experience in a college health setting preferred.
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment. Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.