Associate Director of Admission
Suffolk University is pleased to announce the career position of Associate Director of Admission! At Suffolk University we are driven by the power of education, inclusion, and engagement to change lives and positively impact communities. Committed to excellence, we provide students with experiential and transformational learning opportunities that begin in the center of Boston, reach across the globe, and lead to extraordinary outcomes for our graduates. Suffolk University draws its energy from the vibrant urban heart of Boston, with its spectrum of cultures, customs, values, and expression, and from the rest of the world, in the places our students and faculty call home. It’s the ideal foundation upon which to build a truly diverse university community.
Suffolk University is seeking a dynamic Associate Director of Admission to join our team. Reporting to the Director of Undergraduate Admission, this position works as part of an admissions unit responsible for the recruitment and admission of undergraduate students. The candidate will help guide prospective students and families through the steps to enrollment, evaluate admission applications, and be involved in a range of virtual and on/off campus recruitment activities including school visits, college fairs, transfer programs, counselor meetings and applicant interviews. The Associate Director will serve as a member of the senior admission team, work with the Director on the management of enrollment marketing vendors, assist with social media strategy, and provide mentorship to other staff members. If you’re passionate about helping students and value the importance of our historical mission of access, opportunity, and inclusion, then we welcome your application for this position.
% of Time
Represent the University both virtually and in-person at college fairs, secondary schools, and community colleges. Travel/recruit approximately 10-12 weeks between the fall and spring semesters. Conduct virtual and on/off-campus interviews with students and families as requested. Demonstrated understanding of Suffolk University’s mission, commitment to diversity and inclusion, and how our urban location presents a unique opportunity for prospective students. Candidate must be able to think strategically about their recruitment market, and take a creative and data-driven approach to increase enrollment.
Responsible for the timely and accurate evaluation of approximately 800-1,000 freshman, transfer, and international applicants (including issuing admission decisions and rankings for honors consideration or special financial aid merit programs). Counsels applicants, their families, school counselors, and advisors on Suffolk University’s admission policies and procedures. Assist with second-reading applications for entry-level staff.
The candidate will participate in the onboarding, training, and mentorship of junior staff members. Assists staff with the development and cultivation of a strategic territory and prospect management plan. Will serve as a senior undergraduate admissions officer in the absence of the Director and Managing Associate Director. This requires the ability to make autonomous decisions that may be tied to tactical and strategic planning on behalf of the admissions office.
The Associate Director will be assigned other specialized These responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Working with Slate Deliver team on email communications, text outreach strategies, and social media campaigns.
- Assisting the Director in the management of multiple enrollment marketing vendors and partnerships. This includes collaborating with the Office of Marketing and Communication on content creation for premium profiles, tracking campaign performance and conversion rates, and keeping on top of profile edits.
- Serve on university committees as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Undergraduate Admission, Managing Associate Director, and Vice President of Admission and Financial Aid
- At least 5-6 years of experience working in college admission and recruitment (staff management experience strongly preferred).
- Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Experience with enrollment marketing management and communication desirable.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - ability to speak publicly in front of small and large audiences.
- Bilingual candidate preferred, but not required.
- Candidate must be able to anticipate the needs of the department and take a proactive and strategic approach to project management.
- Must have at least two years of driving experience and have a valid driver’s license from the U.S. or U.S. Territories; must submit to an annual driver record check and maintain an acceptable driving record per university and/or insurance carrier requirements; must complete the University driver safety training within 60 days of hire and additional driver training as needed.
- Experience working with students and families from underrepresented populations
- Strong creativity and innovation; willingness to try new approaches to achieve desired objectives.
- Strong time management, attention to detail, and ability to meet strict, frequent deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency with technology including Word, Excel, CRM systems (preferably Slate), social media, Zoom, WebEx, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams etc.
- Ability to engage and network with prospective applicants, families, transfer advisors, and secondary school counselors.
- Ability to work a rigorous schedule and flexible hours with some evening and weekend work.
- Ability and comfort with traveling for recruitment in the fall and spring months, including yield events.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on group projects.
Suffolk University does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, or status as a veteran in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs, activities, or employment. Suffolk University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff that reflect the broad range of human experience who contribute to the robust exchange of ideas on campus, and who are committed to teaching and working in a diverse environment. We strongly encourage applications from groups historically marginalized or underrepresented because of race/color, gender, religious creed, disability, national origin, veteran status or LGBTQ status. Suffolk University is especially interested in candidates who, through their training, service and experience, will contribute to the diversity and excellence of the University community.