Under limited supervision, this position will analyze and study the general properties of bacteria and other microorganisms in both food and food processing environments through research and routine testing at a Pilgrim’s Microbiology Laboratory. A wide range of tests may be performed to assess that quality/food safety specifications have been met. Analyses will be performed in a timely, accurate, and cost-effective manner according to the written laboratory methods, quality control standards and practices, and safety practices and procedures. As a manager, this position will be responsible for maintaining weekly schedules, changes schedules as needed to cover samples in a timely manner, and scheduling efficiently within a 7 day, 40 hour work-week. An understanding of the Pilgrim’s standard operating principles incorporating simplicity, accountability, collaboration and forward thinking is necessary in order to incorporate into all tasks and responsibilities of the position.
- BS Degree with major studies and coursework in Biology, Microbiology, Food Science or Chemistry required. A non-degree may be considered in lieu of a BS with appropriate experience.
- Minimum 5 years related laboratory experience.
- Good practical knowledge of food safety, food processes, and aseptic technique. Familiarity with “Good Laboratory Practices.”
- Ability to critically examine and follow technical procedures. Preference for excellent problems solving skills.
- Ability to collect and analyze data using basic statistics, draw conclusions based on facts, and write concise reports.
- Ability to work in an environment of changing priorities and levels of intensity.
- Ability to work independently and with limited supervision, as well as with others as a member of a team.
- Preference to experience presenting and communicating scientific data to audiences.
- Must have good computer skills (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc). SAP and WinLIMS experience a plus.
- Must be able to communicate with consumers and internal partners in a professional/courteous manner at all times.
- Prefer a minimum of 2 years experience managing non-exempt (hourly) personnel.
- Maintains accurate and detailed laboratory database and records.
- Maintains and calibrates laboratory equipment.
- Maintain a clean laboratory environment.
- Complies with all laboratory procedures.
- Receives and logs samples into LIMS and enters and approves data into LIMS.
- Participates in an annual microbiological proficiency program, up to 2 times annually.
- Participates in the USDA FSIS ALP program and maintains certification.
- Guides and trains laboratory technicians and associates.
- Analyze ingredients, products and related samples for spoilage and pathogenic microorganisms and assist in troubleshooting microbiological issues related to food manufacturing.
- Perform tests on ingredients, products and related samples for populations of non-pathogenic microorganisms.
- Plan and conduct applied research projects such as shelf life studies and other special projects on request.
- Identify and evaluate new methods for detecting, enumerating and identifying microorganisms of concern.
- Prepare and edit technical reports.
- Stay current with pertinent literature and perform literature searches.
- Perform assorted duties related to quality assurance, research, and laboratory operations as assigned.
- Orders or assists in ordering lab supplies.
- Serve as the leader and go-to-person in their work area.
- Generate reports describing laboratory activities, trends, and expenditures as required.
- Interact with and guide plant personnel when questions relating to microbiology arise.
- Manage several laboratory technicians to ensure accurate and efficient results.
- Weekly scheduling and time management of laboratory technicians.
- Annual training of laboratory technicians.
- Annual review of laboratory technicians using Pilgrims cultural methods and procedures.
- Weekend, Holiday and Overtime work may be required. The manager is expected to be able to accommodate schedules by working other than a Monday-Friday schedule and hours other than 8-5.
- Travel to company locations as necessary