Senior Publicist/Publicity Manager, Algonquin Books
Algonquin Books, a division of Hachette Book Group, is seeking a highly organized, creative, self-motivated, and enthusiastic Senior Publicist or Publicity Manager to join our small but mighty team and work on our award-winning, highly curated, and diverse list of fiction and nonfiction titles. Our ideal candidate will shepherd their own projects through the publicity process, and has a proven track record of creating and executing successful book publicity campaigns. We publish approximately twenty-five adult front list titles and associated paperback reprints a year, and our authors include Julia Alvarez, Louis Bayard, Rabia Chaudry, Stacey D’Erasmo, Ross Gay, Kaitlyn Greenidge, Oscar Hokeah, Silas House, Nguyễn Phan Quế Mai, Peace Adzo Medie, B.A. Shapiro, Lee Smith, Thrity Umrigar, and more.
- Secure reviews, author interviews, features, and op-eds/essays for assigned titles in both national and regional/local media
- Create dynamic press materials (press releases, galley letters, talking points, etc.) and targeted email pitches
- coordinate travel for touring authors, as necessary
- maintain relationships with both front and backlist authors
- Communicate with Editorial, Marketing, and Sales as part of a cohesive publicity effort for each title
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 4+ years prior book publishing or publicity experience, preferably in trade publishing
- Experience working with a wide variety of local and national media; knowledge of print, broadcast and online media contacts, trade book publishing, and the overall media landscape; active current media relationships
- Superb written and verbal communication skills; poise and confidence in communicating with authors, agents, media, and in-house colleagues
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, multitask, and prioritize
- Ability to manage and follow-through on multiple projects and work independently as well as collaboratively
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to manage time effectively while also maintaining accuracy and attention to detail are essential
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Excel. Familiarity with Cision, Net Galley, Muck Rack and Edelweiss a plus
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k), incentive plan eligibility, educational training opportunities and more.