HBG’s Digital Premedia and Design group seeks a Design Manager for interior book designs and page composition of adult trade print titles.
This role is responsible for working with in-house and outside partners for creating new interior designs, page typesetting, quality controls, and other production services as needed. This position manages several in-house designers also working in a similar capacity.
This role is based in New York and is a part of a larger team based in New York, Boulder, Philadelphia, and Nashville, that supports multiple Hachette publishers. Candidates are recommended to have prior management experience in publishing. They must provide ongoing design-related support to the team and ensure that all our designers are equipped with a high level of expertise to efficiently deliver files ready for offset printing, digital printing, and digital media.
Candidates must have creativity and attention to detail, organizational skills, a service-oriented attitude, and a strong design background. We seek a team-minded individual who encourages collaboration to deliver books of exceptional quality. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal communication skills, industry experience with print vendors for trade publishing, and a specialization in creative page text design.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working to deliver book interior designs on schedule, while managing staff with similar duties.
- Converting, cropping, adjusting, and correcting art and book files.
- Validating and delivering PDF files to printers.
- Communicating effectively with Managing Editorial, Manufacturing, and Art Departments.
- Working with composition service vendors when required.
- 5-10 years experience with book design, production, and printing for trade publishing.
- Proven expertise with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro).
- Advanced knowledge of book interior page design files and PDF print standards.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Enthusiasm for book production and team approaches.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Salary will vary based on a number of factors including skills, location, and experience — talk with your recruiter to learn more. Our comprehensive U.S. benefit offerings include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, LTD, 401(k), and more.