What we do:
First Eagle is an independent, privately owned investment management firm headquartered in New York with approximately $109 billion in assets under management (as of 9/30/21). Dedicated to providing prudent stewardship of client assets, the firm focuses on active, fundamental, benchmark-agnostic investing, with a strong emphasis on downside protection. Over a long history dating back to 1864, First Eagle has helped its clients avoid the permanent impairment of capital and earn attractive returns through widely varied economic cycles—a tradition that is central to its mission today. The firm’s investment capabilities include equity, fixed income, private credit and multi-asset strategies.
What drives us:
At First Eagle, clients come first, always. To deliver on this commitment, it is incumbent upon us to nurture an environment that both attracts, develops and retains a talented, inclusive workforce, and inspires each of our employees to do their life’s best work on behalf of our clients. Inherent in this dynamic is a culture that promotes equality, diversity and respect and holds every member of the organization to the highest standards of integrity and accountability.
Who we are looking for:
The First Eagle Global Value team is seeking a Research Analyst to join our New York-based team. The Global Value Management team are “long only” investors that manage mutual funds, separate accounts and off-shore funds. The Global Value strategy seeks to deliver attractive real returns while preserving our investors’ capital over time by using a value approach to invest in global markets. The investment team follows a bottom-up, fundamental approach focusing on companies with quality businesses that they believe have above-average sustainable profitability while trading at a significant discount to their intrinsic values.
What you will do:
- Perform detailed financial analysis and modeling in support of the portfolio managers
- Conduct primary research
- Analyze and understand business models through document driven analysis
- Recast financial statements to focus on true economic earnings, margin of safety and intrinsic value
- Attend investment meetings with senior management
The qualities you should have:
- Undergraduate degree with 2-4 years of experience as an analyst in investment banking, private equity, sell-side or buyside. Pre-MBA.
- Superb analytical ability and attention to detail
- Solid accounting capabilities and passion for digging through the documents
- Strong modeling skills and a firm grasp of a variety of valuation methods
- Investment style consistent with First Eagle’s approach, including long-term investment horizon, absolute return focus and aversion to permanent capital loss
- High level of intellectual honesty, humility and critical thinking capabilities
- Contrarian mindset, willing to go beyond what management tells them and dig deeper
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize tasks, manage time, set priorities and deadlines
- A collegial and collaborative team player who is capable of partnering with a wide range of investors, including all of the Global Value team’s equity-oriented sector analysts and portfolio managers
- Excellent communication skills, with capacity to articulate investment insights to colleagues and clients alike
- Self-starting, entrepreneurial and resourceful
- Humility and patience are key
First Eagle requires employees to be fully vaccinated to work in the office unless an exemption is approved as a reasonable accommodation in accordance with applicable law.
First Eagle Investment Management, LLC (FEIM) is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at FEIM, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religious belief, including dress and grooming practices, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member), or any other protected characteristic as established by law.