Dynacare is seeking a permanent full-time Clinical Chemist to join the Clinical Development and Quality Assurance department. This is full-time permanent position and the primary practice site is in Brampton, ON.
Dynacare has five clinical sites – Brampton, London, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Montreal. Dynacare has extensive community care services and provides secondary through hospital affiliations in Ontario.
The successful candidate will join a team of Clinical Chemists and Technical Specialist with diverse diagnostic experience. The candidate must hold a PhD degree and be certified (or eligible for certification) in clinical chemistry by the Canadian Academy of Clinical Biochemistry (CACB) and/or the American Board of Clinical Chemistry (ABCC). The applicant will have a strong record of experience or special training in clinical biochemistry, routine and special chemistry, endocrinology, mass spectrometry, automation, and pre- and post-analytical processes.
Reporting to the Scientific Director of Chemistry and Immunoassay, the ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual, able to work in team settings, and have excellent professional, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills. The Clinical Chemist will be responsible for providing Technical & Scientific Expertise in the discipline of Chemistry thereby allowing for dedicated and national focus on science and technology issues, common standards and discipline-specific planning. Responsibilities include oversight of quality aspects of laboratory analysis, method development, verification and implementation, interpretation of results, consultation with physicians, and scientific support for internal partners, including Operations, Quality, Business Development, Supply Chain and IT.
- Provide input to Immediate Manager’s strategic and operational plans and directions and ensure on-going effective positioning and integration of Chemistry throughout the organization in order to create and sustain organization success
- Develop, implement and review stratum appropriate (3 months to 1 year) business plan within the context of Immediate Manager’s business plan (including mission, vision, values, strategic positioning, operational plan and resource plan)
- Ensure business plans and deliverables are aligned and integrated, stratum appropriate and throughout Chemistry Discipline to achieve performance expectations and decided metrics
- Assess competition and market opportunities and threats; recommend appropriate plans; and implement decided actions (when relevant)
- Ensure the delivery of optimal Chemistry results against appropriate performance metrics (systems, processes, procedures and activities)
- Establish, monitor, measure and report Chemistry performance metrics; analyze and identify issues impacting operational performance and establish initiatives for continuous improvement to ensure efficient utilization of resources and testing, overall technical excellence, liaison with licensing and accreditation authorities, physicians and other care-givers, meeting customer expectations, effectiveness and efficiency (e.g., quality, reliability, accuracy of reports/results); employee satisfaction
- Strategically plan and identify for Chemistry, the necessary budget requirements, and the provision of leading-edge technology, equipment platforms, automation solutions, Quality Assurance, and Regulatory and Compliance needs
- Provide leadership with respect to the innovative use of advanced science and technology, the provision of expert knowledge and meaningful information to our customers and the overall enhancement of Dynacare scientific vision and reputation
- Serve as a resource to all of Dynacare in interpretation of Chemistry tests/results, test information and method validation. Communicate with associated clients, and Dynacare sub-functions as required
- Provide expert knowledge with respect to the development of a comprehensive menu of tests in order to position Dynacare to contribute significantly to the prediction, prevention and early detection of disease, improved diagnosis, treatment and disease management
- To ensure the practice of Good Laboratory Medicine throughout Dynacare as it pertains to Chemistry by providing the necessary oversight, advice, direction and continuing education for staff as required
- To maintain and enhance the integrity of Chemistry function with the organization and to promote external visibility through presentations, publications and appropriate representation on external provincial and national committees and international committees
- Manage self for optimal performance, through effective cross-functional accountability and authority practices (when relevant) within Immediate Manager’s context and prescribed limits
- Develop and nurture a culture of safety, quality, service, performance, innovation, adaptiveness in all tasks performed
- Develop, implement and review control mechanisms and processes to ensure compliance to policies, standards, regulatory requirements and Dynacare requirements and ensure mitigation of risks.
- Develop and maintain (geographical/functional) networks and apply knowledge to plans and actions (when relevant)
- Establish and enhance Dynacare Chemistry profile in industry and community (when relevant)
- Provide advice on Chemistry products and services
- Provide Clinical and Quality Assurance advice
- Provide Chemistry technical, clinical and scientific support
- Coordinate major Chemistry equipment and laboratory systems selection, setup and validation
- Coordinate Chemistry test development and endorsement into production
- Advice on Policies and Procedures for Specimen Procurement, Storage, Transportation and Processing
- Provide medical, scientific, technical and clinical education and knowledge transfer
- Provide consulting services to Laboratory Operations for interpretation of complex Chemistry test results
- Inspect work and recommend stopping work in the case of major, high-risk quality problem
- Provide consulting services to Laboratory Operations and CDQA with respect to managing change and implementing organizational quality initiatives
DNA of an Ideal Dynacare Employee
I make a difference in people’s lives. I am a caring, collaborative team-player who is passionate about quality and continuous improvement.
- Caring - I demonstrate strong empathy and genuine concern for my colleagues, patients and customers.
- Collaborative Team Player - I know I play a key role in helping the Dynacare team achieve success. I am comfortable in a changing environment, and I can easily manage multiple priorities.
- Passion for Quality and Continuous Improvement - I am always looking to learn and solve problems. I am detailed oriented, adaptable and find ways to make things better.
Dynacare has been a “Top Employer” for many years and there is a reason why. We are a great place to work.
At Dynacare, we’re proud to hire the best people. If you are looking for a meaningful career where you can support healthy lives with commitment and care – we would like to meet you. To apply for this position, you will be asked to submit your resume and complete the application process.
If your qualifications and experience fit with this position, we will contact you to learn more. We offer competitive pay and great benefits, along with the opportunity to grow and thrive with a dynamic, successful company. We hope you will join us in our journey to become Canada’s health and wellness solutions leader.
Dynacare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to the attraction, selection, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. We believe that our diversity is our strength, so we employ a diverse workforce and respect the needs of all our employees.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Dynacare Accommodation Policy a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the Dynacare hiring process.