Covid-19 Technician - OG
THESE POSITIONS ARE LOCATED IN WINKLER AND BRANDON.
Reports to: Manager, Lab Operations
Obtain specimens from patients, process and prepares them for delivery to the lab in patient service centers. Performs a variety of routine laboratory procedures in various departments.
Graduate of an approved Laboratory Technician course or equivalent.
Required Successful completion of the Laboratory Essentials for COVID-19 Testing course through Red River College.
Experience is desirable, but not essential.
Verbal and written communication
Technical problem solving
Resolving with equipment in specific areas
Working as a member of a team
Physical and mental health to meet the requirements of the position with good manual and finger dexterity, visual and aural acuity, and color discrimination.
Must be mature, emotionally stable and capable of working under moderate supervision. Must be adaptable, demonstrate initiative, organize his/her work and exercise judgment.
Must be capable of working cooperatively, courteously, and tactfully with patients,
physicians, and other laboratory personnel.
6. Growth and Development:
1. Obtain venous and capillary blood specimens.
2. Prepare specimens from patients.
3. Checks inventory for expiry dates.
4. Maintains accurate records for all test and control results.
5. Demonstrate procedures to newly hired technicians and other staffs as necessary.
6. Performs routine equipment maintenance.
7. Required to observe all safety precautions in the performance of all duties.
8. Maintains tidy and clean work area.
9. Sorts and labels specimens to be analyzed in lab and for referral.
10. Prepares specimens for analysis in technical areas.
11. Files and maintain requisitions.
12. Other duties as assigned.
E. PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
1. Meets laboratory standards for collection of venous and capillary specimens.
2. Routine procedures are performed accurately, efficiently and timely with a minimum of supervision.
3. Records of test and control results are maintained in a legible and orderly fashion without any transposition errors.
4. Procedures are demonstrated in a clear and concise manner so that these procedures are performed accurately and efficiently by newly hired technicians with a minimum supervision.
5. Routine maintenance schedules are met and documented in a readily accessible location.
6. Safe work habits are maintained as laid out in the Laboratory Safety Manual.