Contract Editor, The Balance
About Your Role
As a Contract Editor, you will fact check and edit educational articles, as well as product reviews, comparisons, and “best of” lists about financial products, from credit cards and savings accounts to personal loans and mortgages. Every day, hundreds of thousands of people rely on The Balance to make financial decisions. They are consumers, savers, entrepreneurs, investors, students, retirees, and professionals—anyone looking to improve their financial livelihood. You will help ensure we publish the most informative, accurate, and transparent information about financial products.
The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of personal finance and investing products, and a strong background in editing copy to create consumer-friendly, actionable articles.
About Your Contributions
- Work with Editorial Director and Senior Editor to edit copy for personal-finance education articles, product reviews, comparisons, and “best of” lists.
- Fact check all stories and edit for flow, logic, and grammar.
- Make sure language is informative but doesn’t talk down to readers.
- Communicate with and help coach remote writers, both freelance and staff.
- Communicate with SEO and Compliance teams to ensure content follows ever-evolving best practices.
- Work with both speed and accuracy to publish an average of five stories a day.
- Edit new copy as well as updates.
- 2-5 years of work experience in personal finance publishing.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask.
- Strong grasp of grammar and AP style.
- Demonstrated experience editing copy to create informative, engaging stories about personal finance.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong desire to help make people smarter in their financial lives.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Byrdie, MyDomaine, Brides and ThoughtCo.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a email@example.com account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.