Video Managing Producer
About Your Role
Dotdash is seeking a Video Managing Producer to join its video team. The Video Managing Producer will be a hands-on producer, director and shooter, who also oversees and assists junior producers and freelancers in their own productions. You will be charged with creating quality instructional videos for our O&Os and social channels, that are on-brand, connect with strategy, help users, make people smile, and efficiently utilize resources. The Video Managing Producer will shift seamlessly from guiding the casting choices for a series of gardening videos to directing talent on makeup tutorials, from editing scripts to providing detailed feedback on cuts – and everything in between.
The Dotdash video team produces hundreds of videos across many formats and categories. The Video Managing Producer role is a unique opportunity for a genuine multitasker to flex creative and organizational muscle across an exciting scope of content, while fine-tuning mentoring and management skills. We are looking for a creative team leader with an excellent eye for detail, an ability to juggle many streams of production at once, experience with high-volume production in fast-paced environments, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and technical chops. The Video Managing Producer will report to the VP of Video.
About Your Contributions
- Starting in the content development phase, work with Editorial and SEO teams to identify articles/written content to move into video production. You’ll review, make quick creative decisions on, and track 1000s of articles that will eventually become videos.
- Shepherd projects through all phases of production, including development, pre-production, production/shooting, post-production, finishing/delivery. As a leader on the team you’ll be able to offer hands-on assistance as needed in any phase of production, and have the experience to guide more junior producers. In addition, there will eventually be an opportunity to manage direct reports.
- Contribute strategic vision that delivers excellent video on budget and on time. Take ownership over the final product and track production schedules to ensure team goals are met. Think quickly to make adjustments on the fly and think creatively for ways to do more with less.
- Seamlessly shift between long-term planning and immediate problem solving. Is there a simple piece of gear that would make our productions better? Is there a new platform that offers easy location rentals? You see the big picture, foresee production and team challenges before they arise, and deliver proactive solutions.
- Juggle an ever-changing cast of freelancers. Give clear assignments in written and verbal form, and give detailed feedback along the way to delivery. Obsessively track freelancers’ work and proactively develop their skills so that deliveries are a success.
- Review videos and give detailed feedback on edits; from the opening second to the bumper, ensure videos meet editorial and brand standards.
- Exceptional understanding of everything that goes into making short-form web video for digital publishers, specifically videos produced for websites, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Hands-on experience as a producer, director, shooter, and editor. Experience overseeing productions and producers in all stages of the production cycle.
- Experience with high-volume production and a fast-paced production environment.
- A proven ability to shift gears, wear multiple hats, and juggle many productions at various stages with minimal supervision.
- Flawless organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail. You foresee complications, make quick decisions, and troubleshoot on the fly.
- Proven experience reviewing videos. You don’t miss a beat and you’re the person to catch that misspelling on the title card.
- Technical production chops. Knowledge of digital cinema cameras and 3 years shooting experience. Proficiency with basic lighting. Proficiency in Adobe Premiere.
- Stellar writing and communication skills. Proficiency with Google Docs and spreadsheets.
- Contemporary design/edit sensibility in terms of video pacing, music, graphics and text. Knowledge of web video trends and popular digital publishers.
- 6-8 years experience with at least 2 years experience producing digital-first video.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, TripSavvy, Byrdie, MyDomaine, Brides and ThoughtCo.
Please be aware of fraudulent recruiters offering opportunities at Dotdash. Note that any correspondence with a member of the Dotdash recruiting team will come from a @dotdash.com or a email@example.com account belonging to a Dotdash Recruiter. If you are in conversations for a job opportunity and wish to confirm its validity, please reach out directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.