Associate Director, R&D Chemistry
Want to see more? Find all job opportunities for both BioFire and bioMérieux worldwide by clicking here.
The world is facing a medical crisis, bacteria are increasingly evolving resistance to even our strongest antibiotics. The problem is already very real and immediate; for example, bloodstream infection leading to sepsis is now responsible for more than half of all deaths in hospitals and is the most expensive condition treated in hospitals. Sepsis mortality rate increases >6% every hour without effective antibiotic treatment. Yet, despite the life and death urgency, and healthcare cost impacts, current methodologies require 3 days to determine the correct antibiotic.
Specific Diagnostics, a bioMerieux company, has developed a breakthrough solution to rapidly determine the effective antibiotic treatment for bloodstream and other acute infections. Used for bloodstream infection Specific’s solution provides results 2 days sooner (1 day vs 3 days).
We offer an opportunity to join us at an inflection point in our commercial growth, with our first commercial product being released new venture capital funding and recognition from major customers and government agencies fueling an expansion of our staff.
We are seeking to add a senior member to our strong team of chemists. This is a senior role; key responsibilities include: leading R&D of chemical sensor development, guiding scientists in their development and project management. This is not the job for a manager-only type, you will also be hands on contributing to our most challenging developments. As a leader, it is critical to communicate and collaborate with colleagues in our microbiology, engineering, and data science groups to assure the sensor is making the most of the biology and that the data produced is ready for analytical analysis. Designs must prove capable for high volume, high yield, low cost manufacturing, design for manufacturability and ability to work with manufacturing teams is a critical aspect of this job.
- The individual shall become the subject matter expert on colorimetric sensor technology that will provide support of current and new products.
- Lead new R&D of colorimetric sensor projects.
- Hands on role in new sensor formulation projects
- Sol-gel and polymer formulation optimization
- Improve manufacturing processes when related to chemistry in collaboration with industrialization and engineering group.
- Help design new chemistry tests to ensure critical quality attributes are monitored
- Define specifications and assist on technical assessment of new suppliers
- Communicate and coordinate crossfunctional efforts with other teams (microbiology, engineering, software, industrialization) within the company
- Designate roles and responsibilities
- Provide guidance
- Participate in action items
- Manage a team of chemists and engineers involved in various chemistry R&D projects.
- Operate following product development project guidance
- Write detailed documentation
- Set requirements for new products
- Run verification and validation
- Participate in sensor manufacturing investigations when needed as subject matter expert in the sensor chemistry
- Write documentation on investigation efforts including protocol and reports.
- Read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, scientific procedures, and regulatory guidelines.
- PhD in chemistry or material science with a minimum of 5 years of industry experience in organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, polymer chemistry, and sol-gel formulations.
- Analytical mind with statistical analysis knowledge required.
- Medical Device industry experience required.
- History of people management skills is required
- Expert in project management and product development with excellent written and oral communication skills with both team members and non-technical business/research partners is required
- SolGel and polymer formulation experience
- Experience with vapor and/or liquid chemical sensors and sensor development.
- Extensive experience in and understanding of reaction mechanisms.
- Background in printing and ink formulation.
- Experience in scale up for high volume manufacturing.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma and DOE.
- Excellent chemical hygiene, experience working with hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of routine testing procedures and common laboratory practices.
- Ability to manage a broad range of projects.
- Self-motivated, HIGHLY organized, and flexible.
- Full English fluency required.
The estimated salary range for this role based in California is between $132,358 and $178,080 annually. This role is eligible to receive a variable annual bonus based on company, team, and individual performance per bioMerieux’s bonus program. This range may differ from ranges offered for similar positions elsewhere in the country given differences in cost of living. Actual compensation within this range is determined based on the successful candidate’s experience and will be presented in writing at the time of the offer.
In addition, bioMérieux offers a competitive Total Rewards package that may include:
- A choice of medical (including prescription), dental, and vision plans providing nationwide coverage and telemedicine options
- Company-Provided Life and Accidental Death Insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan including a generous non-discretionary employer contribution and employer match.
- Adoption Assistance
- Wellness Programs
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefits
- Various voluntary benefit offerings
- Discount programs
- Parental leaves
BioFire Diagnostics, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Please be advised that the receipt of satisfactory responses to reference requests and the provision of satisfactory proof of an applicant’s identity and legal authorization to work in the United States are required of all new hires. Any misrepresentation, falsification, or material omission may result in the failure to receive an offer, the retraction of an offer, or if already hired, dismissal. If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you may request a reasonable accommodation in BioFire Diagnostics’ application process by contacting us via telephone at (385) 770-1132, by email at [email protected], or by dialing 711 for access to Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS).