Editorial Director, Bold Type Books
Bold Type Books (BTB) is a co-publishing venture of the Type Media Center and PublicAffairs, a Hachette Book Group imprint. BTB is a dynamic publishing venture that publishes serious, investigative nonfiction, revelatory social history, and powerful cultural commentary. Our books inform and empower our readers, challenging the narratives of the powerful while offering visions of a more just, equitable future. We publish award-winning, bestselling non-fiction books by thought leaders, journalists, activists, cutting-edge academics and researchers, and truth-tellers.
Bold Type Books is looking for a creative and collaborative Editorial Director to develop and implement, in conjunction with Type Media and Public Affairs, a sustainable, long-term editorial strategy, to personally acquire and manage book projects, to manage an editorial team and to represent the imprint’s publishing vision to the public, agents and authors. While it would be advantageous if the Editorial Director had a track record of acquiring and editing groundbreaking books on subjects of vital public interest, we welcome candidates who bring diverse areas of experience and expertise to the imprint, and a commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Lead BTB editorially, including commissioning and acquiring lead titles, working with the Publisher and the Marketing team to plan the publication of individual books, as well as planning forthcoming seasons; and writing sharp and engaging descriptive selling copy.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining BTB’s long-term publishing plan in consultation with the publisher, publicity and marketing personnel from PublicAffairs and colleagues from Type Media Center.
- Personally steward 8-10 books annually through the publishing process.
- Work with authors, agents and stakeholders in all phases of the publishing process, from acquisition through publication and beyond.
- Supervise the production process by liaising between editorial and the production, design, and managing editorial departments.
- Manage BTB’s personnel.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Broad knowledge of the subject areas and publishing categories in which BTB publishes.
- Strong editorial skills.
- Strong professional relationships with authors, academics, activists, journalists, and literary agents, with a demonstrated ability to develop and further such relationships.
- Deep knowledge and interest in progressive political cultures and histories.
- Ability to remain ahead of the curve by identifying and cultivating emerging authors, as well as seeking out innovative ideas in diverse and traditionally underrepresented publishing spaces.
- Ability to thrive in a results-driven organizational role and to satisfy the unique organizational needs of both Type Media Center and PublicAffairs.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience in negotiating publishing deals and general financial literacy are a plus.
About the Publishers:
Type Media Center is a non-profit home for independent journalists and truth-tellers at all stages of their careers. Our mission is to produce high-impact journalism and literary nonfiction that addresses injustice and inequality, catalyzes change, informs and uplifts social movements, and sparks national and global conversations while transforming and diversifying the fields of journalism and publishing. Our dynamic range of programs includes a bestselling book publishing imprint, Bold Type Books; our award-winning Type Investigations, which supports groundbreaking investigative journalism; TomDispatch, the widely read and syndicated website; Fellowships that fund over 25 high-profile reporters every year; prize programs that spotlight invaluable achievements; and high-profile public events that provide a platform for key journalists, thinkers, and activists to discuss the urgent and important issues of our time.
Hachette Book Group (HBG) is a leading US trade publisher and a division of the third largest trade and educational book publisher in the world, Hachette Livre. A global publishing company based in France, Hachette Livre is a subsidiary of the French media company, Lagardère. HBG is headquartered in New York City with offices in Boston MA; Lebanon IN; Nashville TN; Boulder CO; Philadelphia PA; and Berkeley CA. HBG also owns Hachette Book Group Canada, Inc., a marketing and publicity company based in Toronto.
How to apply:
Please submit a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Editorial Director” in the subject line.
This is a union position under a collective bargaining agreement with CWA Local 1180.
Comprehensive benefits package including healthcare, vision, and dental coverage; 403b plan; paid time-off; voluntary benefits such as FSA, HRA, life, and disability insurance, and more.
Type Media Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Type Media Center is committed to a diverse workplace and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, sexual orientation, partnership status, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law.