Book Designer, Running Press
Book Designer, Running Press – Philadelphia
Working closely with Running Press’ design team, the Book Designer will be responsible for designing approximately 8+ titles a season across multiple imprints. A successful candidate will be an innovative, out-of-the-box thinker who strives for design excellence and enjoys challenges. The position will be based in the Philadelphia office on a two-day per week hybrid schedule.
- Design and manage 8+ titles (cover and interiors) a season across multiple imprints (3 seasons a year). Entails working closely with Creative Director, Associate Design Director, and editorial and production departments to design and layout book covers and interiors, as well as Miniature Editions packages from initial acquisition to print ready files in multiple formats.
- Create sales and publicity material as needed for those titles.
- Hire and manage illustrators and photographers as needed.
- Work with licensed brands and their assets to create books.
- Create select advertising and promotional materials as needed for custom publishing or retail promotions.
Knowledge and skills Required:
- BFA in Design,
- 3+ years of design experience, book publishing is preferred
- Proficient in Creative Cloud: InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Knowledge of typography, illustration, and photography necessary to create designs for multiple formats, the focus being gift and pop culture.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the ability to communicate in individual and group settings as well as with out-of-house illustrators, photographers, and freelancers.
- Solid working knowledge of the production and printing process and an ability to envision and work with various materials and special effects.
- Ability to attend to details and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
As a leading book publisher, we believe that including and representing diverse voices in all aspects of our business is fundamental to what we do. Our publishing programs must reflect the broad range of backgrounds, experiences, political views and ideas that shape our society and publish books for all readers.
Hachette Book Group provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The compensation range for this position is $48,000-$52,000. Salary can vary based on a number of factors including skills, experience, and location — talk with your recruiter to learn more. There may be times that you will be required (or requested) to work overtime due to the nature of your role or exceptional workload issues or special projects.
The following benefits are offered by the company: medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life, short-term and long-term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, critical illness, hospital indemnity, long-term care, health and dependent care FSA, commuter benefit plan, employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement, travel assistance, 401(k), discretionary bonus program, PTO (15 vacation days, 2 personal days, 10 holidays and generous sick leave) and group discounts on auto and home insurance and legal services. Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend on your job classification, hours worked and length of employment. Benefits are subject to change and may be subject to specific elections, plan, or program terms.