Senior Metallurgical Engineer
Sr. Metallurgical Engineer
(This position is based in Fulton, IL)
Relocation assistance will be provided
This position has responsibility for providing daily expert technical oversight and project management for the optimization of all material selection, thermal treatment processes, and standard weld procedures for the facility and to ensure metallurgical integrity of all products and provide technical expertise and assistance in the resolution of problems associated with the manufacture of existing and new product.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop plant standards, technical instructions, and procedures in order to ensure that all metallurgical activities are in alignment with corporate standards and customer requirements.
- Provide direct leadership of thermal treatment area including setting of general policy, determining of proper procedures/work instructions, and training of associates as needed.
- Provide daily manufacturing support via the analysis of metallurgical issues and establish appropriate resolution for optimizing plant processes. This includes situations which inhibit product flow as well as trouble shooting metallurgical processes as they impact production operations.
- Manage the disposition of questionable product, interpret product metallurgical characteristics, and make decisions on corrective actions and deviation needs as a result of product not meeting Timken Customer Standards.
- Work with local SQA for feeding back issues to supply base. - Analyze process audit and customer feedback results in correlation with process capability and corporate standards and periodically and proactively establish preventative and/or corrective actions.
- Provide all metallurgical training needed for associates to understand and perform their job functions.
- Investigate new heat treat technology and equipment. This includes supporting the development of financial justification and development of technical specifications for projects.
- Utilize own knowledge base to identify, develop, and carry out project ideas for overall improvement of quality, performance, and/or cost structure.
- Act as plant liaison with corporate metallurgical resources and serve as an interface with customers at a technical level.
- Perform damage analysis & prepare reports with recommendations, solutions, corrective actions.
- Schedule all product fatigue/wear-life testing as well as schedule metallurgical and/or mechanical failure testing with outside labs.
- Develop standard welding procedures and approve all changes/deviations.
- Conduct ultrasonic testing of welds and product parts as well as magnetic particle inspection of welds and product parts.