Overview of Xylem
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem is the leading global provider of efficient and sustainable water technologies and our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges.
We are committed to social responsibility and corporate citizenship through our Xylem Watermark program, where colleagues volunteer their time and talent to provide and protect safe water resources for communities around the world, deliver disaster response, educate children, and raise global awareness about critical water issues. Innovation, diversity and inclusion are also key to our culture.
Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. We develop and provide technologies that improve the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
Overview of the Role:
The Compliance Engineer I is responsible for ensuring that our products meet appropiate compliance requirements, including UL, NSF, CSA, TUV, IAPMO, ABYC, WRAS, FCC, C-Tick, and all applicable EU Directives. Responsible for providing guidance pertaining to changes to the requirements of the safety agencies that govern our products, solving Agency Compliance problems related to product development, manufacturing, supply chain and product applications. Responsible for organization and maintenance of all Agency related documentation, including product testing and site audits; responsible for for coordinating Agency Validation testing, for generation and maintenance of Declaration of Conformity documentation, and for timely processing of agency fees. May be assigned the engineering responsibility for geographical regions, markets, product lines and/or projects of varying scope and complexity. This position will be participating in a global, multi-functional team based environment, manufacturing and developing cutting edge product designs for the various industries served by the Specialty Flow Control team. Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills, the creativity to overcome design issues, the ability to create value for the customer, and the desire to drive the product design efforts of the organization are required.
The Compliance Engineer I is also required to provide technical oversight and assistance to other departments as required.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Advisor to agency compliance projects.
- Enforces agency compliance for all existing products.
- Provides engineering support to resolve product and/or manufacturing problems relating to compliance issues.
- Provides guidance on internal and external product testing to verify agency compliance.
- Prepares, organizes and maintains all agency compliance documentation and related product testing.
- Interacts with product management and design and manufacturing teams to ensure product compliance and to develop test plans.
- Confers with engineering personnel, other functional areas and customer representatives to assure proper consideration of customer and agency requirements. Collaborates with other engineers in order to assure agency compliance.
- Assists with developing timelines and scope of work for compliance related projects and activities.
- Participates in the Engineering Change Process; responsible for change compliance reviews and approvals.
- Ensures that internal documentation, drawings, labels, manuals, etc. are accurate and consistent with agency file documentation.
- Develop/maintain working relationships with regulating agencies such as UL, FM, NSF, CSA, TUV, INTERTEK and all other agencies involved with product line.
- Inform and train personnel on all compliance directives and changes to standards.
- Responsible for coordinating timely processing all invoices submitted from regulating agencies and test laboratories.
- Responsible for maintaining the agency and outside lab testing department budgets.
- Prepares progress reports relating to assignments as required.
- Liaison with other Xylem engineering units and departments concerning agency compliance, engineering specifications, testing and any other agency related issue.
- Keeps abreast of the latest Agency Standards and Requirement Changes by reading technical journals and publications and attending seminars as required.
- Helps development teams prepare deliverables for Gate Review meetings.
- Ensure that all projects are completed on schedule following established procedures and schedules.
- Provide technical oversight and assistance to other departments as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to communicate effectively the technology, its application and benefits to a wide audience to include customers and senior management.
- Must demonstrate a full understanding of business competencies, business unit operations, financial objectives, and support the business initiatives and objectives.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively on multiple projects
- Develop solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and innovation
- Ensures solutions are consistent with organization objectives
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Cross-boundary collaboration
- Inspiring accountability
- External: Interacts with external customers at all levels. Acts as a representative of the company as a technical contact to multiple departments and site locations across the company
- Internal: (HDD, CUU, NJ, IRV, BOS) Interacts with all internal cross functions, including Product Management, ABD team, Sales, Sourcing, Purchasing, Quality, Operations
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Requires B.S. degree, preferably in Engineering or in a technical area of science and research with minimum 2 years work experience
- or a MS degree with minimum 1 year work experience