Intern - Supply Chain/Manufacturing - Summer 2020
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire an intern as a member of the Supply Chain/Manufacturing Operations Organization. The candidate will assist in process development and maintenance, continuous improvement activities, and operations support. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to succeed in a fast paced, fluid environment, while ensuring that project initiatives are met. The candidate will also work closely with design and quality teams to insure the full integration of quality products. If you are excited and passionate to work on state-of-the art technology trends, we want to hear from you!
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Interested in understanding how a product performs and the impact that manufacturing processes, supply chain, and operations have on our business performance
- Interested in monitoring process yields and cost, recommending and implementing quality improvements based on these metrics
- The ability to solve problems (related to materials, designs, equipment, or people) in a timely manner
- Desire to participate in the development and execution of new and improved manufacturing/business processes
- Drive and help to establish best practices and standardization across organizations
- A strong sense of ownership and drive
- Wants to learn from experienced engineers, architects and managers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer focus
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Attending an accredited University studying toward a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Supply Chain, Operations, or equivalent.
- Minimum rising junior in standing
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Basic knowledge of test methodologies and statistical tools used to solve problems
- Willingness to work in a manufacturing environment
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, orally with both local and remote sites
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment of engineers to meet aggressive goals and high quality standards
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, dynamic, and high visibility environment and work well as part of a team
- Have exposure to Six Sigma/Lean Methodology preferred
- Strong oral and written technical communication skills
- Experience working collaboratively within a team environment of other engineers to meet aggressive goals and high quality standards
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.