Director, EHS&S - Measurement & Control Solutions
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The EHS&S Director provides leadership for the Environmental, Health, Safety, & Operational Sustainability strategy and operational improvement for Measurements & Control Solutions operations globally (80%). This position is responsible for the partnering with the corporate EHS&S function on the creation, development and maintenance of an effective environment, health, safety & sustainability program and works collaboratively with the leadership teams of Xylem to lead strategy and achieve Xylem’s philosophy to “Accept Only Zero”. The EHS&S Director is expected to drive culture change with a high degree of employee engagement proactively deploying the Xylem Continuous Improvement processes. In addition, the position will assist in providing EHS support (20%) to the Morrisville, NC and Raleigh/Durham, NC sites.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide effective leadership and engagement with each site on achieving world-class performance related to environment, health, safety & sustainability and coordinating all interaction with intercompany EHS&S resources and external partners in conjunction with current policies and regulations.
- Lead and collaborate with the M&CS Leadership teams on the best way to drive cultural change around safety that drives high employee engagement
- Leverage EHS&S best practices across the company, articulate and implement goals and objectives, initiatives, policies and procedures, and key performance indicators.
- Build cross-functional relationships with Business and Functional leaders to foster support for continual EHS improvement.
- Maintain and develop the high performing EHS team across the M&CS operations and provide change leadership and talent development for this team.
- Support the development of and drive the implementation of a global standard for training and education programs with the VP of EHS&S to ensure adequate and necessary knowledge of EHS regulations, requirements and company objectives.
- Direct and supervise EHS Managers in executing compliance responsibilities.
- Support EHS awareness, understanding and compliance with applicable EHS regulatory and contractual requirements. Works with external advisers as required and regulatory authorities to ensure compliance with all applicable environmental, health and safety regulations and best practices.
- Collect, monitor, analyze and evaluate metrics that measure effectiveness of EHS compliance and training programs and provide senior management with feedback.
- Support security and business continuity process for M&CS sites.
- Provide EHS support to the sites located in Morrisville, North Carolina and Raleigh/Durham, North Carolina to ensure compliance with regulatory and Xylem EHS programs requirements.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Education - Requires a bachelor's degree and at least 10 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Compliance audit experience required.
- Experience designing EHS organizations globally and assessing, mentoring and developing global talent.
- Strong influence management capability needed
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is required.
- Knowledge of/demonstrated interest in sustainability is a plus
- Continuous improvement/Lean experience required, Lean Six Sigma certification preferred
- 5+ years’ experience leading and directing the work of others.
- Leadership experience in driving culture change and implementing procedures and best practices.
- Experience in dispersed global workforce environment.
- Leadership: The EHS&S Director must be a confident, resourceful leader with a global mindset who excels at getting the most from the people and company assets. Skilled in a matrix oriented environment, he/she must have the technical credibility and interpersonal skills to gain the immediate respect of the Leadership teams, Peers, Sr. management. This individual must bring an open mind and have a collaborative mindset. A true team player and collaborator who establishes and fosters an approach to business management, which stimulates open innovation, communication, teamwork and creativity in solving problems and identifying opportunities. Strong interpersonal and judgment skills to influence teams are essential, along with outcome-focused decision making. Ability to relate to a broad spectrum of people and unite various groups.
- Collaboration: The culture requires forging internal alliances and partnerships in an effort to drive results. Therefore, the successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across multifunctional teams to bring about change. The executive will possess business maturity and be comfortable in rapidly changing environments, will act with a sense of urgency to drive sustainable results. They will develop and cultivate relationships between the teams in the Growth Centers as well as manufacturing and commercial groups.
- Subject Matter Expert:They must have the knowledge and capability to drive in partnership with other leaders the EHS&S culture of Xylem and how to build a world class EHS organization to support that culture.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise
- Shop: In locations with a factory or shop floor, exposure to factory/shop and machinery.
- Travel: 25-50%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.