Application Engineer - OEM
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide product application and technical support to OEM Customers and Field Sales representatives
- Review customer requirements and specifications for understanding, research product performance data, configuration options, pricing and lead times using online configuration tools and related systems, recommend product configurations to satisfy customer needs,
- Prepare and communicate pricing quotations using provided proposal tools
- Provide follow up communication as needed with customers and sales team
- Coordinate the effective processing and resolution of customer RMAs and Product complaints:
- Record customer complaints and associated details, Research order history and product specifications, Coordinate with Quality to resolve customer complaint, Communicate resolution to customer and provide follow-up as needed
- Participate in weekly OEM Sales Territory and department meetings:
- Track and report on customer activity, trends and metrics information as needed
- Identify opportunities for product sales expansion, typically within accessory catalog sales
- Work closely with Director of OEM Sales to better identify market opportunities; outline key markets and customers within given markets.
- Conduct research and market studies to select key products for such given markets, including product bundling and pricing strategies
- Provide project support for NPI (New Product Introductions) on an assigned basis
- Support development and implementation of tactical marketing initiatives
- Coordinate flow of information between OEM Customers and OEM Engineering on NPI for assigned customer accounts
- Provide product and application knowledge to support Sales and Marketing events
- Participate in industry trade show events to represent products as needed and participate in customer site visits as needed
- Participate in Voice of the Customer interviews as required
- Travel as required (20%), travel with sales team on a quarterly basis to visit with key customers, learning about their application(s) and assisting them with various projects and initiatives.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite of Products
- Cross-boundary/cross cultural communication
- Proficiency in PC function and usage
- Understanding of 3D/2D viewers for drawing and models
- Proficiency in use of the internet for research
- Solution design
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Customer oriented solution mindset
- Technical-problem solving
- External: Sales, Customers, Vendors
- Internal: Operations, Quality, Logistics, Product Management
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Minimal education & experience, essential skills & abilities and required license/certification to perform this job.
- Two year technical degree with equivalent related experience
- 5-7 years in customer support, application support or product specialist role
- 1-3 years application support experience dealing with product sizing/configurations
- General industry and product knowledge, in the area of one or more of the following markets: Pumps, Heat Exchangers, HVAC – Boilers, HVAC – Chillers, Process Cooling, Water Filtration and Purification.
- Strong sense of customer advocacy, cross-functional collaboration, technical competency and professionalism
- Familiarity with use of ERP and WMS systems, product sizing/configuration tools
- Experience reading and interpreting pumps/performance curves, valves, controls beneficial
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to interface well with numerous stakeholders, both internal and external
- Willing to direct and receive direction from others.
- Must have good multi-tasking skills and be flexible to shifting priorities.
- Four year degree Business or Engineering preferred
- Direct experience dealing with application support of pumps and valves
- 1-2 years of relevant industry experience
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Light lifting (20-25 pounds), office environment
- Moderate physical demand and exposure to shop and field elements
- Regularly required to stand, reach, bend, squat, push, pull and move about the facility
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office: Administrative - computer and telephone usage. Microsoft Office and CRM essential. Operation of basic office equipment and machinery
- Factory: Interact with operations in the plant facilities in regards to product issues and needs
Standard weekly job hours: 40 Hours
Travel requirement: As required to fulfill the duties listed above. Nationwide travel – Up to 20%.
Other local requirement: Adhere to local facility safety and logistical standards and requirements
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or require that other tasks be performed as required by the business or job circumstances. (For example, but not limited to, personnel changes, technical developments, business needs, etc.).