Product Development Technician
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Leopold, a Xylem Brand, seeks to hire a self-driven, motivated Product Development Technician to build, operate and maintain test equipment, models, and pilots for the Leopold and Sanitaire brands at the Product Development Center. Set up and install mechanical, process and/or control equipment. Perform functional testing for the development of the Company’s water and wastewater products with general guidance and under directives of Product Engineers. Execute multiple projects within the new product / process development portfolio. Often works independently. Occasional travel is required.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Comply with Xylem values and code of conduct. Foster team approach.
- Construct and operate test equipment and demonstration models for various test procedures based on instruction and sketches furnished by supervisor. This could include oversight of contractors work.
- To perform functional testing including accurate collection and recording of data and maintaining the PDC documentation.
- May be required to set up and run tests that are off company property.
- May be called to assist other departments.
- Responsible for controlling material inventory at test site.
- Keep and maintain time sheets.
- Keep PDC and/or test site clean.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Ensure compliance with all safety, housekeeping and work rules and regulations.
- Pickup Truck operation, training provided.
- Forklift operation, training provided.
- Maintenance tasks at PDC and/or Main Office.
- Conduit and Wire installation for test equipment fabrication. Termination of wires by others.
- Occasional concrete mixing and simple masonry work for product testing simulation.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- High School Diploma.
- Able to read engineering drawings and documentation.
- Possess collaborative skills; demonstrated ability for problem solving including resolving difficult issues.
- Basic plumbing, carpentry and electrical skills.
- Willingness for occaisional travel as required to complete the requirements of the position.
- Basic computer skills (MS Word and Excel) a plus.
- Basic writing skills to organize test data.
- Plumbing – ability to perform fundamental plumbing tasks with PVC, CPVC or steel pipe and fittings.
- Electrical – ability to perform fundamental electrical tasks including residential mild industrial 120 / 240 volts AC
- Carpentry – ability to perform fundamental carpentry tasks including power handtools, drill press and table saws.
- Ability to learn and perform various thermoplastic welding techniques. Training provided.
- Ability to perform tasks in “confined space” areas following industry accepted safety precautions.
- Innovative thinking
- Technical-problem solving
- Continuous improvement mindset
- Inspiring accountability
- Cross-functional collaboration
- Technical skills to install, troubleshoot and maintain sensors and other equipment
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Required to sit, stand, walk, reach with arms and grasp with hands and occasionally lift or move material weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Requires the strength and stamina to perform manual labor tasks.
- Able to effectively communicate verbally and over the telephone in the English language
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Must be able to safely and efficiently climb ladders, work around pipes, valves, electrical equipment and operating machinery, etc, such as commonly found around construction sites and water/wastewater treatment plants.
- May be required, on occasion, to endure stressful working conditions associated with production demands, machine failures, or various breakdowns and repairs.
- May, on occasion, be required to endure external undesirable weather conditions.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.