Vice President, R&D Systems Architecture
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem is the leading global provider of efficient and sustainable water technologies and our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges.
We are committed to social responsibility and corporate citizenship through our Xylem Watermark program, where colleagues volunteer their time and talent to provide and protect safe water resources for communities around the world, deliver disaster response, educate children, and raise global awareness about critical water issues. Innovation, diversity and inclusion are also key to our culture.
Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. We develop and provide technologies that improve the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: The VP of Systems Architecture is responsible for the Systems Architecture & technology roadmap for the Sensus Global Business Unit. The role will interpret the organization’s objectives and the enterprise context into standards and usage guidelines. He or she will jointly be responsible for architecture governance across disciplines and domains.
The VP of Systems Architecture is accountable for creating a roadmap for Sensus technology development and a system landscape that is scalable, agile, fit for purpose, simple and cost effective. That road map must represent the company’s technical position clearly, skillfully and effectively with world-class customers and technology partners in the global smart-grid, smart water, and smart gas industry
This position offers a great opportunity to proactively develop and grow an architecture community within a fast paced environment where you will inspire our people, build upon our state of the art technology, and craft the processes needed to influence, teach and problem solve with a highly motivated team.
As VP of the Systems Architecture team this role works with other leaders both within Xylem (software, engineering, operations, technology, sales, marketing, etc…) and with our external strategic partners to implement the company’s product strategy, and deliver products with sustainable competitive advantage, and meet company’s financial objectives.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- They will define, document, and communicate an architecture current-state and a future-state that aligns with business strategy, and manages gaps, risk, and technical debt.
- This role will help drive the development of short, medium, and long-term plans to achieve strategic objectives. Regularly interacts and collaborates across functional areas with senior executives to ensure objectives are met.
- Establish Global Architecture as a recognized function and a formal discipline by clearly defining the role focus, outcomes and responsibilities of the architecture community (enterprise architect, solution architect, system architect, etc.).
- Provide architectural expertise, direction, and assistance to Systems Engineers/Architects and other R&D teams.
- Responsible for the Sensus technology roadmaps regarding physical and logical interfaces between products in our solutions ecosystem. Will lead a team of systems architects and collaborate with the functions to ensure the interfaces are defined and understood throughout the business.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Knowledge of Global Architecture (Enterprise and Solution Architecture) best practices with the ability to explain and assess how to organize the function to be successfully achieve its goals.
- Strong communication/presentation/white boarding skills; lead architecture discussions in front of business leaders and technically strong colleagues. Strong ability to document architectures defined.
- Strong problem-solving abilities and the ability to work well under pressure
- Ability to balance the long-term ("big picture") and short-term implications of individual decisions
- Ability to rapidly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills
- BS in engineering, computer science or related field with 10-15 years’ experience in engineering or architecture roles.
- Experience with various development methodologies (agile, waterfall, etc.) as well as knowledge of product development processes
- Experience of working with standardization bodies
Why Work at Xylem!
We offer you a creative and international environment where you get the opportunity to focus on your personal and professional development together with committed and helpful colleagues. Engage as a volunteer through Xylem´s business program for community initiatives Xylem Watermark: www.xylemwatermark.com.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Travel: 25%
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.