Manufacturing/Continuous Improvement Engineer
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Smith-Blair, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a Manufacturing/Continuous Improvement Engineer who will work closely with production department managers to identify efficiency gains and areas of improvement then implement and maintain process improvements all while having a strict focus on lean manufacturing principles throughout the various manufacturing production departments. This role will also have responsibilities related to facility/building improvements
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
Investigate, analyze and compile necessary data for recommendation and justification of new equipment or processes, tooling, material handling systems, and energy conservation processes; recommends and coordinates capital requirements for future years in all areas of the plant.
- Analyze, develop, and document budgeted and unbudgeted cost improvement proposals; recommends and coordinates cost improvement recommendations for future years in all areas of the plant.
- Provide manufacturing engineering recommendations and implement programs which are necessary to improve manufacturing operations and plant profit relative to:
- Utilization of assets
- Productivity of direct and indirect labor, manpower requirements
- ROI and payback calculations on capital equipment, job evaluation and cost control procedures
- Plant layout and feasibility studies and capacity analysis
- Recommend improved methods and processes based upon the latest technology in equipment and systems.
- Works closely with vendors to determine product specifications and arrange for purchase of equipment, materials, or parts, and evaluates products according to specifications and quality standards.
- Conducts conventional time and motion studies for the purpose of developing standard time for standard costing purposes, compilation of standard data on verification of established rates.
- Utilizes effective communications with all levels of plant and corporate personnel.
- Utilizes Lean Manufacturing principles and methods for continuous plant and process improvement.
- Will be regularly required to facilitate Kaizen events.
- Assure that all Safety and Environmental standards are maintained to the highest level.
- Other duties as assigned by the Manufacturing Engineering Manager.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BS in Industrial Engineering or other Engineering related discipline
- Minimum 5+ years’ work experience in engineering related field.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with employees.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook Access)
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Light to moderate lifting (25-35 lbs.), office and industrial manufacturing environment.
- Regularly required to sit or stand, walk, reach, bend, kneel or stoop and move about the facility.
- Regularly required to listen, talk to, and see employees on a daily basis.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Manufacturing floor: work performed within manufacturing production areas such as assembly lines, fabrication, welding, etc.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Work hours may keep individual after hours or be required to work weekends based on production demand and schedule.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.