Director, New Business Models
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: This is an exciting Director level opportunity to join an organization leading change in the water industry. Xylem is a pure-play water company with a broad portfolio, deep sector expertise, and strong technological innovation position – uniquely placed to address the needs of an industry faced with climate change, population growth, and urbanization which are creating the problems of water Scarcity, Resilience, Affordability. Xylem is taking a lead through both internal and an Open Innovation approach to develop the technologies, products and services to meet these demands. In this world access to all is a critical driver, and to enable this we need to develop and deploy new ways of doing business.
This role is an exciting opportunity to leverage your experience of creating and delivering new business models in new and novel ways to enable customers to access the ‘outcomes’ Xylem provides. Play a key role in enabling the adoption of innovation and disruptive technology through new business model solutions. This role is key to Xylem providing integrated products and intelligent solution offerings.
The Xylem Incubator operates outside the mainstream business constraints to quickly test and deploy new business approaches using a combination of new technology, products, services, 3rd parties, financing, and value-sharing to create positive outcomes for customers, existing and new.
The desired candidate thrives in environments where uncertainty is common and is skilled at deriving opportunity from the unknown.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Working with teams across Xylem, identify the tactical customer opportunities where novel business models can deliver long-term value.
- Working closely with customers, understand their bespoke needs and – leveraging your experience – craft a business model that provides locked-in long-term value.
- Working with internal finance and legal teams to underwrite the contracting position.
- Identifying opportunities with external partners to further expand Xylem’s ability to offer novel business models – through financing and delivery.
- Work with internal teams to identify the opportunities for developing a new business model approaches to enable product/service sales, looking in long term value for customers.
- Working with internal teams, identify opportunities to unlock under-served market segments, with zero or minimal product development impact, through novel contracting offerings.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Undergraduate degree in appropriate discipline, with MS/PhD/MBA or other advance degree desired.
- Hands on approach to crafting new business models.
- Minimum of ten plus years of professional business model experience in a dynamic environment where developing bespoke contracting positions was an enabling sales factor. Experience in the water industry is a plus.
- Broad commercial and analytical business and engineering experience in relevant fields.
- Experience bringing new ventures to market is required. Must have the ability to create enabling solutions to compliment a technology/product/service offering.
- Passion for solving customer’s problems, commitment to driving results and ability to live in the detail, while keeping track of the big picture.
- Experience working across several business areas.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects with simultaneous time sensitive deadlines.
- Maturity and ability to function independently as well as balancing strong team-work and collaborative approach.
- Experience working across global cultures is required. Position requires judgment, discretion and the ability to interact with many country cultures and management. International experience is a plus.
- Highly motivated with excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with senior leadership and presenting before senior leaders.
- Strategic thinker with ability and proven expertise for a pragmatic execution.
- Enterprising person with a passion for problem solving.
- Successful candidate maintains high ethical standards and works by a strong moral compass. They keep their word and follow through on commitments. They are honest, credible, and trustworthy. They epitomize "Doing the Right Thing - Always."
- Successful candidate will be able to effectively convey their ideas and messages both formally and informally, in speaking and in writing. They will deliver clear, concise, accurate, articulate and persuasive written and oral messages, supply supporting facts as necessary and are adept at tailoring their communication to their audience.
- Successful candidate will have a strong customer orientation ensuring solutions will strategically help the customer now and in the future.
- Successful candidate will be a practical, hands-on ‘doer’.
- Successful candidate will foster an environment across the organization that encourages new and exciting solution ideas, challenging assumptions, encouraging ‘outside the box’ thinking and encouraging experimentation with new ideas and possibilities.
- Successful candidate will continually strive for excellence by asking questions of the organization on how things can be done better and will set high standards raising expectations to enable significant business growth across the enterprise.
- Successful candidate will model and coach others to collaborate effectively, leveraging different points of view. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential. Ability to maintain composure under pressure.
- Ability to work in a matrix environment, understand the complexities and nuances of a multinational organization. Candidate must be task-oriented with excellent judgment. Candidate must have excellent organizational skills and be able to handle multiple sensitive and important responsibilities independently and simultaneously.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- 30% Travel
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.