Monitoring Specialist/Project Engineer
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Monitoring Specialist based out of its San Diego office to support the AFO Monitoring Group in the on-going remote site maintenance and optimization of their acoustic monitoring sites located all over the world. SoundPrint™ Acoustic Fiber Optics technology continuously monitors the acoustic activity of various pipelines, bridges, and structures. In pipelines SoundPrint™ AFO identifies acoustic events associated with the failure of prestressing wires. SoundPrint™ AFO continuously tracks the condition of each pipe in the line and reports the time and location of breaking prestressing wires. Our engineers and physicists maintain the monitoring systems, analyze the data, and provide owners with continuous on-line updates on the condition of their infrastructure.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Review system operation of Xylem monitoring sites for various clients
- Remote analysis and troubleshooting of site performance
- Quickly addressing, troubleshooting and resolving all site concerns
- Performing maintenance on existing systems as required, and testing of new equipment before on-site installation
- Management of site optimization and system parameters, ensuring reliable and accurate data acquisition
- Analysis of data trends to aid in the identification of concerns with our Pipeline Management Group
- Review of pipeline drawings, inspection data and client lay schedules to help develop and evaluate graphical mapping display of acoustic information and pipeline attributes
- Data and signal analysis of acoustic information
- Commissioning of new monitoring equipment
- Support various engineering operation needs in the design and installation of new monitoring sites
- Regular communication of site functionality to project team
- Client contact providing regular reports highlighting system functionality and uptime
- Occasional travel throughout North America may be required
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Diploma or bachelor’s degree in an engineering or technical discipline
- Experience with pipeline mapping and construction lay sheets and drawings an asset
- Computer, networking, and operating system knowledge and troubleshooting experience an asset
- Experience in troubleshooting and maintenance of data acquisition systems an asset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Microsoft Excel VBA, PowerBI or PowerApps experience would be considered an asset
- Solid problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Effective communication skills including verbal, written and presentation skills
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting and changing priorities
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Capability to work effectively both independently and in a team-based environment
- Some pipeline construction background or knowledge is a plus
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, Working Parents Networks and Non-Native English Speakers and Allies.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
(The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Employee must comply with all local regulations and published Company work rules as well as written instructions.