Director, Environment, Health, Safety & Security – North America
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The EHS&S Director provides leadership for the Environmental, Health, Safety, & Security strategy and operational improvement for Xylem operations located in North America. This position is responsible for the partnering with the corporate EHS&S function on the creation, development and maintenance of an effective environment, health, safety & security program and works collaboratively with the leadership teams of Xylem to lead strategy and achieve Xylem’s philosophy to “Accept Only Zero”. The EHS&S Director is expected to drive culture change with a high degree of employee engagement proactively deploying the Xylem Continuous Improvement processes. In addition, the position will collaborate with the Applied Water Systems Growth Center as their liaison and lead the Compliance Assurance Center of Excellence.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide effective leadership and engagement with each site on achieving world-class performance related to environment, health, safety & sustainability and coordinating all interaction with intercompany EHS&S resources and external partners in conjunction with current policies and regulations.
- Lead and collaborate with the North America Leadership teams on the best way to drive cultural change around safety that drives high employee engagement
- Leverage EHS&S best practices across the company, articulate and implement goals and objectives, initiatives, policies and procedures, and key performance indicators.
- Build cross-functional relationships with Business and Functional leaders to foster support for continual EHS improvement.
- Maintain and develop the high performing EHS team across the North American manufacturing operations and provide change leadership and talent development for this team.
- Support the development of and drive the implementation of a global standard for training and education programs with the VP of EHS&S to ensure adequate and necessary knowledge of EHS regulations, requirements and company objectives.
- Direct and supervise EHS Managers in executing compliance responsibilities.
- Support EHS awareness, understanding and compliance with applicable EHS regulatory and contractual requirements. Works with external advisers as required and regulatory authorities to ensure compliance with all applicable environmental, health and safety regulations and best practices.
- Collect, monitor, analyze and evaluate metrics that measure effectiveness of EHS compliance and training programs and provide senior management with feedback.
- Collaborate with Applied Water System’s leadership team as the Applied Water System’s EHS&S liaison to supplement the regional EHS&S teams by providing support on matters that cross regional boundaries and establish appropriate sustainability improvement priorities, implementation targets and action plans for the growth center.
- Lead the Compliance Assurance program to ensure business and site compliance with regulatory and Xylem requirements Manage processes such as the Xylem EHS&S Audit Program, Xylem EHS&S Management Systems, EHS&S operation reviews and regional meetings.
- Support security and business continuity process for North America sites.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Education - Requires a bachelor's degree and at least 10 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Compliance audit experience required.
- Experience leading EHS programs in both manufacturing and sales/service organizations.
- Experience designing EHS organizations globally and assessing, mentoring and developing global talent.
- Strong influence management capability needed
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is required.
- Knowledge of/demonstrated interest in sustainability is a plus
- Continuous improvement/Lean experience required, Lean Six Sigma certification preferred
- 5+ years’ experience leading and directing the work of others.
- Leadership experience in driving culture change and implementing procedures and best practices.
- Experience in dispersed global workforce environment.
- Leadership: The EHS&S Director must be a confident, resourceful leader with a global mindset who excels at getting the most from the people and company assets. Skilled in a matrix oriented environment, he/she must have the technical credibility and interpersonal skills to gain the immediate respect of the Leadership teams, Peers, Sr. management. This individual must bring an open mind and have a collaborative mindset. A true team player and collaborator who establishes and fosters an approach to business management, which stimulates open innovation, communication, teamwork and creativity in solving problems and identifying opportunities. Strong interpersonal and judgment skills to influence teams are essential, along with outcome-focused decision making. Ability to relate to a broad spectrum of people and unite various groups.
- Collaboration: The culture requires forging internal alliances and partnerships in an effort to drive results. Therefore, the successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across multifunctional teams to bring about change. The executive will possess business maturity and be comfortable in rapidly changing environments, will act with a sense of urgency to drive sustainable results. They will develop and cultivate relationships between the teams in the Growth Centers as well as manufacturing and commercial groups.
- Subject Matter Expert:They must have the knowledge and capability to drive in partnership with other leaders the EHS&S culture of Xylem and how to build a world class EHS organization to support that culture.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Florescent lighting, dust, recycled air, cooling fans, semi-enclosed areas, central heating, seasonal warmer temperatures and office noise
- Shop: In locations with a factory or shop floor, exposure to factory/shop and machinery.
- Travel: 25-50%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.