1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem is the leading global provider of efficient and sustainable water technologies and our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges.
We are committed to social responsibility and corporate citizenship through our Xylem Watermark program, where colleagues volunteer their time and talent to provide and protect safe water resources for communities around the world, deliver disaster response, educate children, and raise global awareness about critical water issues. Innovation, diversity and inclusion are also key to our culture.
Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. We develop and provide technologies that improve the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
The Systems Engineer will work as part of the engineering team to provide 3rd line support on the implementation and maintenance of a large scale and complex communications network deployment which will be regarded as Critical National Infrastructure. The network will be required to be fault tolerant with high availability, and support many hundreds of transactions per second. In addition this role will provide total System Integration Validation support to additional product lines within the Sensus U.K business unit. Products include electricity meters, Automatic Meter Infrastructure (AMI) smart points, in-home-displays, installation tools, head-end systems, and more. The candidate will also work closely with Product Development, and our Research and development teams, to insure the delivery of quality products to Sensus customers.
- Act as a key member of the local subject matter expert team for the Sensus portfolio of smart metering head end systems and radio access network infrastructure
- Liaise with Clients Network Management Centre to aid timely resolution of service impacting problems.
- Assist clients in testing and verification of new products and software functionality
- Document and maintain a current working knowledge of Sensus SmartGrid technology
- Follow Network Operations processes and procedures as defined to successful conclusion
- Analysis of data to discover root cause of errors and escalate to Sensus R&D teams where necessary
- Maintain knowledge management system content to assist continual service improvement process in relation to problem and incident management
- Log detailed defect records for Software and Firmware engineering, including step-by-step instructions to recreate the fault.
- Develop and execute manual and automated test suites
Minimum 2:1 BSc (or equivalent) Computing/Electronics/Communications Systems degree and/or equivalent industry experience
Demonstrable high integrity and ethical standards
UK Security Clearance is essential for this role, Applicants must have been UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and be willing to undergo this process or have current clearance.
- Foundation Level networking (CCNA level knowledge or better), VLAN, VPN, switches and routing
- Solid understanding of VMware virtualisation principles, virtual distributed switches & multi-pathing in an enterprise environment.
- Enterprise experience on RHEL 6/7 administration, performance, and monitoring
- Willingness/ability to travel to partner premises on an ad-hoc basis
- Ability to fault find and diagnose diverse interconnected enterprise level applications
- VMWare DCV, VCP accredited or relevant experience, implement, manage, and troubleshoot.
- Red Hat Certified Engineer or Systems Administrator
- Shell scripting skills in a RHEL environment, Powershell in Windows environment
- Production experience in some of the following ActiveMQ, Ansible, Puppet, Jenkins, GOCD, , Confluence, Gitlab, Docker, Openshift, PRTG
- Query writing in MS-SQL, MySQL , Postgres, Redis or MongoDB
- Enterprise network firewall, Palo Alto, Cisco, Fortigate
- Colocation datacenter experience, Vcenter, SAN, Routing, Switches
- Basic fluency in one or more of the following languages: C, C++, Java, Perl, Ruby or Python
Sensus provides support on a 24 hour, 7 day a week basis which will require all members of the Engineering Team to participate in an on-call rota.
Occasional out of hours work will be necessary along with potential trips to the United States for product training.