Intern - Mechanical Engineer - Summer 2020
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
The Role: Xylem is seeking Intern candidates with a Mechanical Engineering background to join our team. As a member of the Mechanical Engineering Team, the incumbent will be responsible for the development and ongoing engineering support of the Xylem portfolio. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to succeed in a fast paced, fluid environment, while ensuring that project initiatives are met. If you are excited and passionate to work on state-of-the art technology trends, we want to hear from you!
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Some exposure with common product manufacturing processes such as hot plate welding, heat staking, ultrasonic welding, potting and parylene coating Solid understanding of analog and digital circuitry
- Some experience with 3D CAD modeling software and data management tools; Creo (Pro Engineer) and Windchill preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, orally with both local and remote sites
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment of engineers to meet aggressive goals and high quality standards
- Demonstrated experience working with cross functional teams
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Attending an accredited University studying toward a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Interested in conducting design reviews and working within cross-functional teams including electrical, software, firmware, manufacturing, marketing and supply chain.
- Exposure to engineering tools such as tolerance analysis, FEA and 3D CAD modeling.
- Desire and ability to learn new tools, languages and design techniques.
- A strong sense of ownership and drive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer focus
- Experience with product testing and root cause analysis.
- Familiar with regulatory agency requirements such as ANSI, AWWA, UL
- Exposure to a fast paced team environment where you have interfaced regularly with electrical, back-end software, mechanical and system test engineers on system level design development.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.