Design Development Engineer
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the development lead on new product design (concept to launch) for all new pumps and associated products using the lastest computer aided design tools (e.g. CFD, FEA etc). This will include working on the pump hydraulic design.
- Implement major projects using the Xylem Product Development process (XPD)
- Interface with product management team to secure ideas for new products. Communicate with customers either directly or through product managers to establish product design needs. Configure product to meet customer requirements.
- Keeping up to date with state of the art design tools, practices and concepts,
- Ensure that compoents are design for effective manufacture,
- Testing and evaluation of pumps and their associated equipment,
- Support for production and manuafcturing,
- Provide technical support and advice for current and new products as required, internal and external customers
- Take an active part in team meetings,
- Ability to expand and develop innovative new ideas for current products,
- Project and report writing,
- Provide evaluation and reporting of warranty failures,
- Play an active role in the safety culture of the company ensuring the safety of yourself and the safety of
- others that could be affected by your acts or omissions at all times,
- Highlight any safety concerns to the relevant person.
Internal: All departments (product management, sales, operations and procurement),
REQUIRED SKILLS / EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS
- Engineering degree in mechanical engineering related degree
- 2 – 5 years experience in pump design and/or development,
- Ability to produce and interpret pump detail design drawings from conceptual and iterative ideas
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously,
- Must be a flexible, inquisitive and multi-talented “out of the box thinker” who is eager and willing to take on new challenges and share ideas and knowledge.
- Strong organizational skills,
- Ability to develop and maintain cost data,
- Ability to analyse product design needs from VOC and convert to preliminary product design and cost estimate. Includes reading equipment specifications,
- Strong collaboration skills cross functionally,