Software Engineer - Dev Ops
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Software Engineer – Dev Ops. This Software Engineer - DevOps role will be part of a team with the specific responsibility to implement and manage an existing DevOps automation solution into a new user group community within Xylem.
The initial technical responsibilities for this Software Engineer - DevOps role will include writing and debugging powershell scriptsand bash scripts, Jenkins job definitions, using Subversion, and interacting with VMWare vCenter. Initial project responsibilities will include learning an existing automation solution, interacting with fellow DevOps engineers who developed the solution, interacting with a user community of Quality Assurance Engineers, understanding new use cases, comparing new use cases to existing use cases, implementing new solutions, constructing function test suites for your new implementation, deployment of your solution to user community, reporting status, user interaction ( Q&A ), and troubleshooting as the environment changes.
When that initial project is complete, additional responsibilities will involve: maintaining the lifecycle of the aforementioned automation, managing the operating system lifecycle, and application software lifecycle, of central servers (e.g., Windows, RHEL, Centos, MS-SQL, Oracle, Jenkins, Artifactory, Subversion, Bitbucket, JIRA, etc), providing DevOps-related development and maintenance, administration of existing automation scripts ( PowerShell, bash, etc), creating new automation, creating Jenkins jobs for CI/CD for multiple software teams, and introducing new technologies. Additional responsibilities will include interacting with developers, testers, and managers to improve the SDLC of several software engineering teams. Additionally, as a member of the Software Engineering Team, there will be opportunities to contribute to product development, support Java software applications, and new technologies, as part of the RNI, our flagship software product AMI application.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Desire to enable others to succeed by facilitating their focus on product development
- Ability to work within a team environment of engineers to meet aggressive goals and high quality standards
- Strong customer focus
- Take great personal pride in building robust software
- Strong sense of ownership and drive
- A fixer / problem solver that will work with what is available, look for ways to improve things
- Recognize the importance of getting things done and done well
- Highly collaborative
- High initiative
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to learn the entire Software Development LifeCycle
- Desire to be a champion of Continuous Integration and Continuous
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 2+ years of experience in a software development related field
- Commercial software development experience Some, most, or all of the following:
- Windows Server operating systems familiarity
- Windows scripting ( e.g., PowerShell and PowerCLI , APIs into VMWare vCenter )
- Linux operating systems familiarity
- Bash scripting in RHEL7, or Centos, or other linux
- Working with virtual machines (e.g. vmWare vCenter, vmWare Workstation, VirtualBox, etc)
- Experience building, installing, troubleshooting in large scale systems
- Experience with software ALM or collaboration tools like Jira, Confluence, Slack
- Experience with build/deployment tools and related environmental artifacts (such as Maven, Jenkins plugins, Artifactory, Subversion and BitBucket)
- Experience with configuration management, packaging, and related tools / techniques (e.g. RPM, Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
- Familiarity with programming languages/tools such as Groovy, Perl, Python, Ruby, Expect, Java, Jenkins file pipelines, jenkins shared libraries, Artifactory AQL
- Experience with communications and/or networking solutions
- Experience with containerization technologies ( e.g., docker, CSAP, kubernetes )
- Experience with on-premise private clouds or public clouds ( e.g., AWS , Azure )
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
EOE including disability and veteran