Continuous Improvement Specialist
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots.
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative, and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved, and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration, and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem's Cheektowaga, NY facility seeks to hire a Continuous Improvement Specialist to lead project teams and to execute projects aligned to critical business priorities. These projects will generate financial results and drive process improvement, cultural maturity, and efficiency.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
- Lead cross-functional projects designed to analyze and design sequence of operations and workflows to improve efficiencies.
- Conducts studies pertaining to cost control, cost reduction, inventory control, and production record systems.
- Develop and implement project plans to reduce labor hours and costs of manufacturing through Lean Manufacturing.
- Interfaces with other departments to identify improvement opportunities for driving high quality and efficient processes
- Mobilizes problem solving teams and supports groups to streamline processes
- Facilitates kaizen and rapid improvement events to drive continuous improvements in operations and office areas, including effective preparation and follow-up
- Participates on multiple projects and applies continuous improvement techniques leveraging Lean Six Sigma methodologies to solve problems and build new capabilities.
- Shares best practices and develops coordinated plans.
- Be a change agent: challenge organizational leaders to drive continuous improvements and remove organizational barriers to continuous improvement processes.
- Apply Best in Class benchmarks, cost analysis, Lean Six Sigma techniques to study manufacturing systems and operations. Identify cost and quality improvement projects.
- Expectation to eventually rotate back into the organization and continue spreading improvement mindset
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BS/BA Degree or Equivalent
- 3-7 years’ experience working within manufacturing industries utilizing CI methodologies
- 1-3 years of successful leadership in executing improvement projects and enabling efficiency, effectiveness, and tangible financial benefit
- Enthusiasm for change and demonstrated usage of basic CI tools such as 8 Waste, Standardized Work, 5S, 5 Why, A3, and improvement plans
- Demonstrated success in developing and maintaining detailed project plans for large scale projects
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Demonstrated experience with ensuring effective Change Management development and execution
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Desire to learn and obtain new Lean and Six Sigma certification levels
- LSS Green Belt, Black Belt, or Lean certification
- Experience within low volume-high mix manufacturing industries containing machining, assembly, and welding
- Experience working in union environments
- ERP/MRP knowledge and experience
- Robust knowledge of MS office applications including Project and Visio
- Comfortable learning new computer skills such as VBA programming and database querying.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Light lifting (20-25 lbs.), office environment
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 - 45 hours
- Travel: <10%
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.