Software Engineer Manager (AWS)
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The Lead Full Stack Engineer (Manager) will be responsible for leading software development functions, driving successful delivery of the product roadmap, contributing to product strategy, overseeing new development and managing existing software implementations and client deployments.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Develop a world class software engineering team to complete technical initiatives, produce high quality products, and deliver client value
- Provide end to end technical leadership to the software development team, implementing solutions that will be deployed on premise , in the cloud, or in a clients’ environment
- Set the technical direction for the team, drive the evolution of the systems architecture, and make appropriate technology choices
- Take a hands-on approach to the entire software development life-cycle: develop project and resource plans / schedules; perform day-to-day project management to ensure successful, on-time releases; assist the team in accomplishing all tasks; demonstrate ownership and accountability for the entire product delivery process
- Work effectively with product managers, project managers, engineers, and the senior management team to allocate engineering resources appropriately across various projects, juggling current customer/prospect needs with longer term product roadmap needs
- Implement processes and metrics to ensure that the software engineering organization is extremely efficient and focused, and that the product is market ready with industry standard QA and Testing practices.
- Manage expectations, set realistic goals, and achieve them
- Function as a subject matter expert with major customers / partners, and mobilize the team to effectively resolve and deal with major customer issues
- Develop and support software including applications, database integration, interfaces, and new functionality enhancements
- Establish and enforce best practices and patterns in software design, delivery, and support
- Manage the deployment of future installations, update of existing installations and technical development of a growing software platform
- Develop a staging environment to limit production issues
- Code review, testing and debugging software prior to release in production environments
- Work closely with the central security team to improve and maintain vulnerability scores
- Build production monitoring frameworks for single and multi-tenant SaaS products supporting extensive transactions per day
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 3+ years of software engineering management experience
- 7+ total years of software development experience
- Strong SDLC Leadership experience with concurrent/iterative (Agile scrum like) software product realization processes
- Demonstrated experience leading the design, development, delivery, support and maintenance of large scale, high performing, technically complex, reliable and robust software applications and systems
- Demonstrated track record of successfully hiring, motivating, retaining and effectively deploying talented software developers to perform against aggressive delivery goals
- Experience with a variety of software development processes, and ability to apply the right process for the project
- Experiencing designing and deploying streamlined CI/CD pipelines for efficient versioning, code scans and deployments
- Demonstrable history with dev-ops workflows including branching patterns and code and data migrations
- Knowledge of release management and deployment workflow processes, from development release through staging and production deployment
- Ability to sell stakeholders across the company on key engineering priorities and how they connect with larger company initiatives
- Strong process discipline and personal leadership, including ability to partner with internal teams
- Leadership for effective, proactive Change Management for continuous cycle-over-cycle improvements
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Extensive experience with the product development life-cycle for a mature production software
- Extensive experience with standard approaches including Test-Driven Development & Automated Testing
- Supporting developer’s growth and career path
- Proven track record in technology solution proving and application architecture with emphasis on:
- HTML 5 web applications
- Scalable distributed server processing
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or equivalent experience. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Math, Electrical Engineering or other related degree.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.