Sr. DevOps Engineer
POSITION DATA SPECIFICATION
Sr. DevOps Engineer
Xylem Water Solutions India Private Limited, India
Venki Ramachandran (Dir – Program Management, Application Development for Smart City)
Describe the Position
The DevOps/ProdOps Software Release Engineer will be responsible for building and deploying applications as a member of the Xylem Services team. This position will be a key component behind the implementation of the DevOps technology roadmap. The core focus of Services team is to help and support customers of Xylem after the contract is signed – tasks include systems integration (writing scripts to get data from many sources), software sizing, infrastructure sizing and deployment and software install. This is a demanding role that requires deep technical knowledge, adaptability, hands on execution and a ruthless drive towards higher levels of application availability.
In this role, you will be expected to automate builds & deploys and make the process reliable, efficient and maintainable. You will need to partner closely with software engineering teams using a strong systems engineering mindset. The expectation is to constantly improve operational processes and efficiency through automation. You need to have an attitude that embraces agile practices and automation. You will need enough technical depth to make the appropriate technology choices, defend your opinions and drive the technical implementation.
- Work with software development and engineering to automate continuous integration and deployment to enable regression testing of all applications after work hours. This entails installing continuous integration tools like Jenkins and configuring it to work with Bitbucket and other SDLC tools.
- Working with Security team to implement Veracode and SaltStack for continuous checking of code from a security perspective
- Act as a subject matter expert for troubleshooting and resolving performance related issues on multi-tier web applications that span a number of different OS on the AWS platform (Amazon Web Services)
- Should be proficient with EC2, RDS, IAM, S3, Cloudwatch and other tools within the AWS software suite which can assist with software deployment.
- Assist in testing and deploying applications all the way to production. This includes sizing the entire production deployment stack based on the numbers of devices deployed for a customer, tweaking the automated scripts to deploy such a system on AWS and then install the Xylem software.
- Write scripts (bash scripts or python) to automate retrieval of data from many database sources to get them into our core platform. Followed by software configuration and software install.
- Collaborate with the Release Automation team to enable better integration into the CI-CD process
- Ensure tooling support for shorter release cycles, improving supportability, performance & scalability of the ecommerce platform
- Ensure platform support for cross-functional delivery of large-scale, complex projects often involving multiple internal and external teams
Qualifications and Certifications
- 5+ years of experience with a 4-yr engineering degree - supporting large-scale, business critical systems in a production mode from a ProdOps perspective, including new version release, backups and applying security patches
- Experience with at least one web application platform: Java, WebLogic, Tomcat, JBoss, Apache, Endeca, Oracle
- Experience with distributed systems and networking in an eCommerce environment
- Experience with Git, Jenkins and the Atlassian toolset (JIRA, Wiki, Fisheye, Crucible, Stash, Clover)
- Mastery of at least one scripting language: PHP preferred, Python, PERL, Ruby, bash Shell
- Depth of knowledge and hands on abilities in supporting significant systems engineering organizations in a DevOps role
- Exceptional technical and non-technical presentation and communication skills
- Exceptional analytical aptitude and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Proven ability to work with a team of highly technical software/systems engineering staff in implementing automated configuration mgmt., release engineering & CI-CD practices
Additional Plus Points for
- Masters or an advanced degree in Comp Science.
- AWS certifications
- Smart Grid Expertise – working knowledge of smart meters (electric, gas and water), communication protocols and experience deploying applications for utility customers.
Dir – Program Management, Application Development for Smart Infrastructure
Xylem ITC – Bangalore, India