Sr. Hardware & Firmware Developer
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem is the leading global provider of efficient and sustainable water technologies and our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges.
We are committed to social responsibility and corporate citizenship through our Xylem Watermark program, where colleagues volunteer their time and talent to provide and protect safe water resources for communities around the world, deliver disaster response, educate children, and raise global awareness about critical water issues. Innovation, diversity and inclusion are also key to our culture.
Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. We develop and provide technologies that improve the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: The position is accountable to the Monitoring & Controls Engineering Manager. Will conduct electronics development activities for hardware and software applications in support of both new product development and the support of product already in the field.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, document and test digital and analog hardware and support that development through prototype build and test and manufacturing release.
- Will design, document, test, integrate and debug software written in high level languages (assembly, C, C++ Visual Basic, Automation Studio etc.)
- Will work effectively and cooperatively with Xylem AWS customers both internal and external to resolve existing product issues and develop enhancements as required and defined by the customer and Product Management.
- Perform technical feasibility study and electronic architecture design and integration Model, simulate, analyze the sub systems to evaluate product and design concepts Design and develop Micro-Controller / DSP based control boards for Variable Frequency Drives, Water Sensing, and Water Cut-Off type of applications.
- Design, selection, specification, and validation of critical digital hardware components – Microcontrollers, Memories, Communication Interfaces etc.
- Performs board design from system level requirements and test including requirements analysis and documentation, circuit design digital electronics, Schematic capture, verification and testing of boards .
- Design and develop Firmware drivers and Communication Algorithms in C, C++
- Participate in FMEA and risk assessment activities Follows standard R&D software guidelines for creating code, documenting code, storing code, testing and implementing the software, in the field when necessary.
- Assist OEM’s and end users in the implementation of their specific software requirements Interface as needed with product management, customers, marketing & sales in providing technical guidance on products developed.
- Keep well informed of new features and products/services.
- Be proactive in understanding product/service roadmaps and the implications of new features with peer engineers or self-training.
- Leading People & cross function development teams- Effectively communicates the Xylem vision and translates it into actions that advances the vision within one’s own organization, and establishes the appropriate performance standards and measures to achieve it, motivating and energizing others, and aligning goals and resources.
- Promotes individual & team accomplishments in a timely manner while holding individual members accountable for results.
- Ensures work is delegated to the lowest appropriate career stages and level, and enables teams/groups to make independent decisions by creating the appropriate environment for effective decision making.
- Selects and promotes the appropriate skills and capabilities aligned to the organizational mission to assemble high performing teams while ensuring team diversity is maintained and leveraged
- Conduct engineering analysis and diagnostic activities at both the hardware and software level in support of product already in the field.
- Provide product engineering support in the resolution of product issues identified in the field. Recommend and develop recommended solutions to product issues.
- Travel to customer sites and evaluate reported issues with Xylem AWS products methods.
- Analyze project development requirements per the Xylem XPD (Xylem Product Development) process and support project leaders in the development of integrated project definitions per the process.
- Translate raw Voice of Customer (VoC) information and commercial product specifications into software and hardware design requirements and interface with India Software Design Center of Excellence to complete larger scale software design modules.
- Collaborate with customers, installers, consultants, and all members of the Xylem distribution channel to efficiently resolve field issues including initial installation, field performance monitoring, and post installation equipment failures.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 5+ Years of embedded hardware and firmware development with strong firmware emphasis
- Use of recognized best practice firmware/software development methodologies and processes
- Prototype build and test, first manufactured parts validation and support through to product release
- Bachelor Degree in Electronic/Electrical Engineering or equivalent curricula
- Excellent Communication skills with strong English both written and spoken
- Experience with systems design and programming languages (ex. C, C++, IEC 6-1131-3, Assembler)
- Experience with PLC (Programmable Logic Controller)
- Experience with signal processing, communication protocols and switching power supplies design are required (Modbus, BACnet, DeviceNet, TCP/IP and wireless e.g. IEEE 802.1, Zigbee etc.)
- Experience in design and troubleshooting Analog, Digital, embedded processor designs is required
- Knowledge of automated electrical/electronic design tools (PWB layout, routers etc.)
- Solid in utilizing the Microsoft Office suite of tools
- Knowledge of LabVIEW language (or any other software programming language) and experience with electronic simulation software would constitute a plus
- Experience in motor control software and VFD development would be preferable
- Familiar with UL, CSA, FM, FCC standards and regulatory requirements
Why Work at Xylem!
We offer you a creative and international environment where you get the opportunity to focus on your personal and professional development together with committed and helpful colleagues. Engage as a volunteer through Xylem´s business program for community initiatives Xylem Watermark: www.xylemwatermark.com.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Demands are typical of office work and in the lab.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Position will require some travel to customer sites. Occasional travel should be anticipated.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.