Sr. Manager, Product Owners: Advanced Utility Solutions
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, is seeking highly motivated, experienced and enthusiastic Sr. Manager, Product Owners, Application Solutions to guide and inspire the development end-to-end solutions that reach beyond meter reading. The Sr. Manager, Product Owners will lead a small team who will work with Global Product Manager(s) and fellow Product Owner teams to maintain, translate, and deliver the vision for platforms including end to end solutions that solve customer problems beyond AMI and AMR to help utilities solve operational and sustainability goals. This includes solutions such as pressure management, Non-Revenue Water and Energy solutions, Theft Detection and Outage Management, Automation Control, and solutions focused on sustainability and conservation from concept to end of life.
It is critical that this individual is not only a leader for our solutions but also a mentor for the Product Owners that report to Him or Her. He or she will both support and challenge these Product Owners in order to create a best in class Product Owner team. The Sr. Manager and their team will work with architects, product management and development teams to ensure that business, quality and functional goals are met with each product release. The role is responsible for the user experience, quality and efficient delivery of their end to end solutions and/or platforms. The Sr. Manager is a key decision maker, along with the Global Product Manager(s), on priorities and product decisions, and works to ensure that all stakeholders are aligned at each stage of the development lifecycle. The role understands both the technical and business opportunities.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working with diverse, geographically distributed teams in both large, established organizations and more startup-like environments. You have innate curiosity and deep empathy: by speaking with someone for half an hour, you can understand their core concerns, motivations, and what would be necessary to create value for them. You are passionate about building game-changing platforms and solutions with the experience to back it up and excited to apply your skills in order to revolutionize how one of the earth’s most precious resources is managed and delivered.
**This position can be based and performed in any location in the United States, except Colorado**
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Leads the translation of business requirements into technical requirements (Features) and able to participate in Agile Scrum based development, hybrid-agile development, and/or traditional waterfall development.
- Ensures there is ample room for the development team to do their work as their input is valued by the development team by creating and maintaining an appropriately prioritized backlog of user stories, features, epics, and/or requirements for implementation based on the development process
- Understands and coordinates feature backlog for all releases for the platform — and their dependencies on each other.
- Is well aware and able to articulate the phases of development of a product or feature
- Collaborates with product architects and global product management teams to translate business requirements into user stories for the development teams to implement
- Shares and communicates business requirements and their feedback effectively so that it will lead the team to a successful outcome for our customers.
- Understands iterative development process and realizes the fact that requirements will change with time and how to adapt the changes without breaking cadence of the team.
- When applying Agile Scrum methods, is present in daily scrum, and retrospective meetings, apart from required presence in sprint planning and review meetings.
- Defines solution/ platform release plan and scope with Global Product Managers and fellow Product Owners
- Inspires and motivates the development teams to deliver innovative and exciting solutions with an appropriate sense of urgency
- Acts as an ambassador for the solution / platform internally and externally, and as the primary technical contact for queries related to the product
- Works with key stakeholders across the company to ensure successful solution / platform releases
- Partners on Continuous Improvement efforts
Leadership & People/Team Development
- Development of an employee-oriented company culture that emphasizes quality, continuous improvement, key employee retention and development, and high performance.
- Hiring the right team, providing development opportunities
- Develop and execute on robust succession plans
- Role model superior coaching & mentoring capabilities
- Health and safety of the workforce.
- Develop a culture customer cetric organization and behavior
- Personal ongoing development.
Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering/Computer Science, business management or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of experience working in a fast-paced business environment as a Product Owner working with product, software and solution requirements, particularly in system-solutions which interface and collect date from sensor networks.
- Solid technical background with understanding and/or hands-on experience in modern software technologies including, web, mobile and cloud-based technologies.
- Integration of applications & cloud-based server-side deployments preferred
- Proven track record of managing successful product launches throughout its lifecycle
- Agile Methodology experience desired
- Training and/or certification as a professional scrum product owner (PSPO) or as a certified scrum product owner (CSPO) is strongly preferred
- Familiarity and/or experience with user research (foundational/discovery methodologies, usability studies, persona development, etc.) is a plus
- Able to direct and motivate development team(s)
- Able to conduct surveys, voice of customer and gather various stakeholder feedback to determine most appropriate feature to add to a new or existing product
- Adept to working with user groups and scrum teams to obtain and analyze user stories and define acceptance criteria
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Skilled at working collaboratively and effectively with cross functional teams in a matrix organization
- Strong problem solving skills
- High degree of confidence and experienced presenter
- Experience in the electric, water and/or gas industries or using software solutions aimed at utilities is a plus
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Travel: 30%
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.