Cloud Systems Engineer
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a Cloud Systems Engineer. The Cloud Systems Engineer serves as a technical expert in the area of system administration for complex operating systems. Recommends the redesign and configuration of operating systems and system applications. Investigates and analyzes feasibility of system requirements and develops system specifications. Identifies methods, solutions, and provides project leadership for systems affecting over 700 Sensus utility customers.
**Candidate can be remote, but must be willing to spend 1-2 weeks in Boise for training, and return once a quarter**
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Manages the day-to-day operations of three datacenters, 60 Amazon Web Services accounts, and 3,000 Microsoft Windows and Red Hat Linux servers by monitoring system performance, configuration, maintenance and repair. Works with vendors to assist support activities.
- Develops new system and application implementation plans, automation, and testing procedures to ensure operational reliability. Trains technical staff in how to use new software and hardware.
- Provides work direction to NOC technical staff. Determines appropriate coverage for all hours of operation.
- Performs troubleshooting. Leads problem-solving efforts often involving outside vendors and other support personnel.
- Installs, modifies and maintains systems and utility software on server computer systems. Provides server support related to other software.
- Establishes guidelines and methods for the installation and management of the host computer operating systems (VMware and Amazon Web Services AWS public cloud), assists with disk arrays, backup software, and other components.
- Ensures high availability and acceptable levels of performance of mission critical host computer resources.
- Develops procedures to maintain security and protect systems from unauthorized use, acts of nature and user abuse.
- Develops and coordinates project directions and schedules to maximize benefits and minimize impacts on the customer organizations. Provides leadership in planning and implementation of projects for computer operations and enterprise systems administration.
- Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways for Sensus Datacenter Operations to take advantage of new technology.
- Support a complex after hours monthly maintenance schedule, encompassing 1 weekend a month (Friday evening through Sunday), and 12 evenings a month. Senior System Administrators manage security patching, manual security vulnerability remediation, new hardware installations, firmware upgrades, and other required maintenance.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- At least 5 years of related experience or combined experience and education in the following areas:
- Supporting bare-metal servers, VMware vSphere hypervisor, Windows 2003-2016 Server, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5-7 Server.
- Monitoring tools like Solarwinds Network Performance Monitor, PRTG, or Nagios.
- Storage administration with NetApp, HP, or EMC SAN/NAS.
- At least 2 years of related or combined experience and education in the following areas
- Public cloud administration - Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, or Google Compute
- Assessing and mitigating security vulnerabilities using network scanning tools.
- Scripting and automation with Powershell, Bash, or Python
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Some remote work opportunities if established and approved by management.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.