Intern - Manufacturing Engineering - Summer 2020
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions.
For more information on how Xylem can help you, go to www.xylem.com
The Role: Goulds Water Technology, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a Manufacturing Engineering Intern for the Xylem-AWS-Lubbock, Texas facility. As a member of the Engineering Team, the Engineering Intern is an educational enhancement role. Candidate must have a basic understanding of mechanical engineering practices. Candidate should be willing to work with the broader engineering team on a number of engineering related tasks detailed below.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the ability to succeed in a fast-paced fluid environment, while ensuring that engineering and data management protocols are maintained. If you are industrious, detail- and customer-oriented, we want to hear from you!
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Assists with preparing plant layouts for new machine location, machine relocation, and facility expansion / renovations or improvements.
- Assists with identifying and implementing process improvements in the Machine Shop and Assembly areas through utilization of VBLSS tools.
- Prepares workplace layouts for location of pallets, gauges, and tooling for efficiency and safety.
- Performs efficiency time studies and ergonomic evaluations.
- Assist manufacturing engineering team with various tasks as assigned by Manufacturing Engineering Manager.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Attending an accredited University studying toward a Bachelor’s degree in Industrial or Manufacturing
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must have a thorough knowledge of manufacturing or industrial engineering, coupled with knowledge of lean and continuous improvement.
- Shall possess an aptitude for good analytical skills and the ability to organize and implement engineering tasks.
- Should have the ability to interface well with others and to direct, and take direction from others, as required.
- Must be knowledgeable in MS Office applications
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Medium lifting (25-35 lbs.), shop and office combined environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Regularly required to listen, talk to, and see employees on a daily basis.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Shop: Rotating equipment with water and electrical components in use. Safety protocols and PPE to be closely observed.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours with extended hours as required to meet customer requirements
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.