Director, Government and Industry Relations
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Director of Government and Industry Relations to support Xylem’s continued growth and evolution as a leading global solution provider in the water sector. You will play a critical role in advancing the water sector by engaging on Xylem’s behalf with government and industry stakeholders.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement Xylem’s global public policy agenda and strategy, collaborating with key internal stakeholders
- Ensure the establishment, development, and maintenance of effective working relationships with federal lawmakers and United States government agencies in Washington, D.C. as well as government bodies in locations in which Xylem has a strong presence
- Monitor and advocate on selected topics at the state level
- Understand Xylem’s global businesses in order to effectively identify, prioritize, develop, and advocate company positions and interests
- Advance Xylem’s brand, policy needs, and political agenda with government, regulatory and industry bodies around the world
- Manage Xylem’s outside government-relations consultants and cooperate effectively with trade associations, coalitions, business councils, and lobbying firms
- Support development of a thought leadership agenda to increase global awareness of Xylem and our solutions
- Work closely with Xylem’s senior management to develop policy positions and strategy on relevant legislation, regulation and emerging issues
- Vet proposals for Xylem’s participation in third-party advocacy
- Plan and manage a pro-active plan of engagement with government, regulatory, and industry stakeholders
- Identify and leverage other functional initiatives, across the Company, to influence perception of Xylem among those stakeholders – eg, the sustainability report, thought-leadership campaigns, etc.
- Partner with legal and compliance on lobbying compliance and laws
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Significant experience working with elected officials, legislative/regulatory leaders, and staff in substantive policy areas (legislative and/or regulatory experience with water-related topics preferred)
- Record of impact in shaping policy outcomes
- Demonstrated success in influencing decision-makers, thinkers, and policy-makers locally, regionally, nationally, and globally
- Effective relationship-building and collaboration skills
- Experience and demonstrated success in organizing, convening and mobilizing cross-functional teams
- Proven ability in the development, management, and advocacy of policies and positions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to interact with Xylem senior management
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team
- Intellectual curiosity, interdisciplinary thinking, and the ability to ‘connect the dots’
- Business acumen as evidenced by some prior role in the private sector preferred
- Passion for water and sustainability
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Graduate Degree strongly recommended
- International experience (outside the USA) preferred
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- General office-based tasks, including participation in virtual and in-person meetings, and the ability to travel ~25%
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- This role will be located in the Washington, DC region
- This role requires the ability and willingness to participate in calls across time zones (Asia, Europe, the Americas)
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.