Application / Automation Engineer
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem Brand, seeks to hire a Application/Automation Engineer specializing in application support, process automation, web and command line tool development. He or she will be part of a team (FlexnetOps) responsible for supporting our Flexnet Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) Software as a Solution (SaaS) projects.
We work with Software Solutions to release, enhance and debug our Flexnet products and solutions, serve as a knowledge base and escalation point (as Tier 3) to Customer Support teams, remotely commission and maintain AMI solutions, develop and maintain our own support solutions and participate in an on-call rotation (as Tier 2). Each member of the team is required to maintain an exemplary level of knowledge of our Flexnet solutions.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Knowledge and experience to develop, implement, and maintain technical processes and web/command line tools.
- Good analytical and debugging skills, strong software aptitude and creative ability, a rigorous approach to analyzing and resolving complex technical problems
- Requires a self-starter capable of taking initiative on all projects
- Propensity to generate and maintain operational documentation; to host internal training sessions
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience
- Experience: 5+ years in Software Development and/or Engineering fields
- Operating systems: Linux (Red Hat/other), Windows (all flavors)
- Databases: MS SQL, Postgres
- IP network and Linux networking tools
- Unix/Linux shell scripting
- Perl scripting
- Web Development knowledge and experience
- Excellent written & oral communication skills with peers, end-users, and management
- Good organizational, email management and note taking skills
- Self-motivated; ability to work under general supervision; receptive and supportive of team efforts
- Background in Software Solutions (programming) is a plus
- Security: Knowledge of and experience with OpenVPN, Encryption, Firewalls, LDAP, Password Management is a plus
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.