Sr. Software Engineer (Automation)
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions.
For more information on how Xylem can help you, go to www.xylem.com
Sensus, a Xylem brand, helps a wide range of public service providers – from utilities to cities to industrial complexes and campuses – do more with their infrastructure to improve quality of life in their communities. We enable our customers to reach farther through the application of technology and data-driven insights that deliver efficiency and responsiveness. We partner with them to anticipate and respond to evolving business needs with innovation in sensing and communications technologies, data analytics and services. Learn more at sensus.com and follow @SensusGlobal on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire a Sr. Software Engineer (Automation) as part of our operations division to help facilitate, develop, and support our growing environments. This is not a DevOps role, as your primary focus is code development.
The available role is for a remote full-time position in either the US or Canada. However, we will give preference to applicants in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada, or Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, or Boise, Idaho, USA areas, where our main headquarters reside.
About the position
you will be working with a cohesive and highly motivated operations team to assist with the operations of multiple global private and public clouds. Your automation and programming skills will increase security across all environments, minimize technical errors, improve availability, reduce deployment time, and help scale the environment.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Develop, design, and implement software to further facilitate the efficient integration of the tools used in the operations department using programming technologies such as Python and Java.
- Complete feature requests, perform bug fixes and perform regression testing as required
- Work closely with architects, team leads, managers, security teams, and engineering teams to produce and design technical documentation.
- Assist and aid the operations team to ensure the environments are operating efficiently to meet and exceed SLAs for our valued customers.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Advanced experience with Python and Java is required.
- Advanced knowledge of Ansible, Terraform, or similar automation technologies.
- At least five (5) years’ experience with the Linux platform and associated Linux technologies. Preference is given to applicants with RHEL/CentOS distribution experience.
- Experience with Git, GitLab, GitHub, BitBucket, or similar version control and software-sharing technologies.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes.
Nice to have:
- Experience with Django or Springboot frameworks
- Experience with scripting languages such as Bash, Perl.
- Experience with build automation tools such as Jenkinsfile, TravisCI
- Experience with antifactory tools such as JFrog.
- Experience with Red Hat Satellite Server.
- Experience with Red Hat Directory Server or LDAP technologies.
- Experience with open-source software using C/C++ compiled programming languages.
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Pup
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.