UX Design Team Lead
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem is the leading global provider of efficient and sustainable water technologies and our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges.
We are committed to social responsibility and corporate citizenship through our Xylem Watermark program, where colleagues volunteer their time and talent to provide and protect safe water resources for communities around the world, deliver disaster response, educate children, and raise global awareness about critical water issues. Innovation, diversity and inclusion are also key to our culture.
Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. We develop and provide technologies that improve the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: Xylem is looking for a Product Design Team Lead to join our distributed and growing group of designers. You will work alongside engineers, product managers, and other designers to create simple and powerful products, and work provide direction and feedback to a team of designers.
The Product Design Team Lead position is in many ways a split roll. You should have a keen eye for detail and color, an ability to ask the right questions and know when to ask them, stellar communication skills, and a passion for creating products that balance simplicity and intuitiveness with complex data across a variety of devices. You should also be able to provide leadership and mentorship to a team of designers, providing feedback and direction as needed.
Xylem is focused on helping utility companies to understand their data in order to reduce costs and improve their operation. We’re looking for people who are passionate about design, patient and confident in their communication, and who change directions quickly. If this sounds like you, then we want to talk!
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- You will work collaboratively with designers, product managers and engineers to deliver compelling solutions for our users. You’ll help lead the projects and their directions across the entire lifecycle and launch.
- You will design and communicate intuitive user experiences through a deep understanding of the problem, our customer’s, and their needs. You consider problems from multiple angles and explore different approaches until you’ve identified the best solution.
- You will lead a small team of designers focused on a key part of our business, who are working on complicated projects and will need mentorship and leadership and direct feedback on their work.
- You will know how and when to conduct user and market research, and understand how to look at the results.
- You will create low fidelity wireframes to communicate early stage concepts, create high fidelity mockups to communicate final ideas, and all of the other things in-between.
- You will work with the rest of design to develop, follow, and promote long term UX design thinking and guidelines.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience
- You have 5+ years experience as a UX designer or similar.
- You feel confident presenting your designs to peers and executive level stakeholders.
- You can demonstrate and communicate your UI/UX design skills with a strong portfolio.
- You have the ability to lead a team.
- You have experience creating prototypes that satisfy the different needs that arise through the life or a project, and enjoy all stages of app design, from sketching to polishing • You are highly proficient in Figma or similar design tools (Sketch, Adobe XD, etc).
- You’re up-to-date with the latest UI trends, techniques, and technologies.
- You have experience with Agile/Scrum.
- You are a fantastic team player, communicator and facilitator and enjoy working with others to solve complex problems
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: 10% or less
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.