Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: The Heat Transfer team is seeking CNC Machinist for 2nd/3rd shift to set-up and operate CNC Machining centers. The ideal candidate must be able to read and interpret blueprints, specifications and work instructions to produce machined component parts within specified tolerances.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Perform work requiring a thorough knowledge of current practices, methods, techniques, principles of operation of various types of equipment, machines, tools, fixtures and instruments.
- Receives instructions, and performs all required machining operations interpreting drawings, routings, specifications and other issued documentation as necessary to machine components and units to ensure compliance to all indicated Instructions may also be provided through checklists, drawings, routings, and procedures.
- Determines, obtains and properly utilizes fixtures, jigs, tooling, clamps, blocks, parallels and other items necessary to perform undocumented set-ups. Follows documented set up instructions to locate and secure workpiece for machining.
- Loads, sets-up, and operates machine tools to produce work to specified finishes and tolerances, utilizing knowledge of proper set-up techniques speeds and
- Determines applicable CNC program for part being machined. Enters program into CNC control. Sets tool and or work offsets. Performs various calculations to determine locations, speed, feed, and other data requiring the use of formulas derived from handbooks, tooling charts, etc
- When not specified, adjusts machine feeds and speeds to achieve most efficient machining.
- Program parts utilizing canned program cycles, conversational programming routines and manual programs.
- Confirms all material used is correct (quality, quantity, type, size) prior to the start work
- Each person is responsible for verifying the quality of work through inspection and checking to insure that all their work meet
- Performs layouts as required to ensure proper machining.
- Transfers/records heat numbers to machined components and or documentation to ensure material traceability is maintained.
- Obtain materials, fixtures, cutting and hand tools necessary to perform assigned Rig and operate forklift truck, handcart, etc. to handle, move, and position materials, tooling, tools and/or fixtures within or between departments.
- Notify supervisor of shortages in work-center supplies.
- Notify supervisor immediately of any machine malfunction, quality problem, raw material problem, or problem with completed work or work in process.
- Utilize electronic data system obtain required information and perform required transaction. Overtime and all work assignments will be at the discretion of the supervisor
- Assists and/or trains new employees in job classification. Trains other Ml or M2 as directed.
- Maintain good housekeeping and safe environment throughout work area(s), sweep area(s), wipe down, clears debris, arrange product, on a daily basis to assure housekeeping is maintained.
- Perform scheduled and assigned preventative maintenance tasks, including but not limited to, checking and refilling lubrication levels, cleaning machine work surfaces, etc.
- Perform 5s activities.
- Observe all safety and shop rules and notify supervisor of any unsafe conditions.
- Verify all gauges and measuring tools are within proper calibration dates prior to using. Deliver and retrieve gages and measuring tools from calibration collection points.
- Sign off on paperwork (routers, checklists, or other documents) or through computer entry procedure or as directed to indicate operator has inspected work and it conforms to the applicable fabrication requirements (drawings, specs, codes, ) and to maintain status of fabrication.
- Wears, cleans and properly maintains all required personal protective equipment (PPE). Participates in personal air and noise sampling when directed.
- Perform daily safety checks on power vehicles and record findings on checkoff sheets.
- Enrichment within this classification is a mandatory The enrichment process °"rill be at the discretion of management, governed by seniority and the needs of the business.
- Overtime and all work assignments will be at the discretion of the supervisor
- All new equipment procured by the company will be added to this classification based on its applicability as determined by the company. New machines acquired by the company will be assigned to the appropriate classification upon release to
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Successful completion of a Vocational Technical Training program which includes the operation of CNC equipment, measuring tool training and tooling (An additional 2 years of CNC machine tool experience may be substituted for this at the discretion of the machine shop Manager)
- High School Degree or completion of equivalency program.
- Three (3) years’ experience in diversified machining operations which focus on CNC machine tool operation and programming. This experience must have occurred within the 5 years prior to bidding on or applying for this position.
- Knowledge of machining technology, mechanical principles, shop mathematics, job layout, precision measuring procedures, machine set ups, operating methods and machining characteristics.
- Requires passing a written Ml classification test with a score equal to 85 percent or above.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Lifting (30-35 lbs.), manufacturing floor environment
- Regularly required to stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
- Regularly required to listen, talk to, and see employees on a daily basis.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Manufacturing floor environment
EOE including disability and veteran