Condition Assessment Engineer
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
Xylem, a leading global water technology company dedicated to solving the world’s most challenging water issues, is the leading global provider of efficient, innovative and sustainable water technologies improving the way water is used, managed, conserved and re-used. Our international team is unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology and other trusted solutions to solve the world’s water challenges. We are committed to creating an organization of inclusion and diversity, where everyone feels involved, respected, valued and connected, and where everyone is free to bring their authentic selves and ideas.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us #letssolvewater, we want to hear from you! For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
We Offer You More Than Just “A Job”
- Professional Development – To advance the capabilities of our people, we offer a wide variety of experiences to support our employees’ professional growth and continuous learning.
- Total Rewards – We offer comprehensive programs for compensation, benefits, recognition, learning and development, work-life integration and corporate citizenship.
- Watermark – Watermark is our corporate social responsibility program working to provide education and access to safe water to ensure healthy lives, gender equality, and resilient communities. Employees have the opportunity to learn and volunteer on various water-related projects.
- Employee Networks – Our Employee Networks provide a professional, supportive network for employees from diverse backgrounds, including Women’s, LGBT+ and Allies, Veteran’s, People of Color and Allies, Hispanic Origin & Latin Affinity, Emerging Leaders, and Working Parents Networks.
The Role: The Condition Assessment Engineer is primarily accountable for analyzing condition data to make recommendations that will influence long-term maintenance and management plans for water pipelines. This candidate will rely on sound engineering principals to generate structural calculations, perform pipeline forensics and provide visual pipeline inspections to help clients proficiently manage their pipeline infrastructure.
*Open to relocation assistance* to the Columbia, MD area*
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Analyzes multiple data points to create technical client reports; inclusive of conclusions and recommendations that will help clients turn an inspection or series of inspections into meaningful pipeline management plans
- Accountable for completing a variety of pipeline calculations, including but not limited to pipe loading, design checks and hydraulics/surge analysis
- Completes pipeline forensic work as part of pipe failure investigations, interventions from AFO or other inspections, verify pipeline results (i.e. wall loss, wire breaks), and pipeline degradation mechanisms for water and wastewater
- Completes internal pipeline inspections without the use of tools/technologies
- Performs sounding inspections on PCCP and visual inspections of all pipelines using SOP’s as the basis for observations
- Trains and mentors Field Delivery Technicians/Engineers and peers on the science of internal inspections that are not reliant on the use of tools/technology; will be responsible for creating and maintaining SOP’s to support these inspections
- May participate, under the supervision of a Sr. CAE, in client meetings to further support proposals or findings included in the client technical report; are treated as subject matter experts
- Make recommendations for the management of pipeline networks based on the interpretation of Remaining Useful Life calculations
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering related field with 3 or more years’ experience in the water industry in a technical role, preferably in the space of pipeline condition assessment
- Technical knowledge of pressure pipe inspection technologies, including knowledge of when to use each of the technologies and the limitations of each is desired
- Currently holding or working toward professional engineering registration/designation highly preferred
- Ability to excel in a team-oriented environment; developing and contributing subject matter expertise
- Proven ability to take initiative, seek out problems to solve and communicate highly technical concepts in terms less technical individuals can understand
- Demonstrates thorough attention to detail with proven practice of rechecking personal work, work of others and seeking second opinions as required
- Adept at working in a cross-functional, matrix environment that is highly collaborative
- Demonstrate confidence when speaking with senior leaders and clients; can engage in technical discussions with an open mind and can be persuasive and influential when needed
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk & reach with hands & arms; use hands and fingers dexterously to operate office equipment (office environment).
- Frequently required to communicate orally.
- Light lifting (20-25 pounds), office environment
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Travel: As required to fulfill the duties listed above. Other travel as needed or required by the company. (Up to 25%)
**This position can be based and performed in any location in the United States, except Colorado**
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.