1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
Godwin, a Xylem brand, offers a broad product line of fully automatic self-priming pumps used in temporary and permanent applications. With a full range of diesel and electric pumps available to purchase or rent, Godwin pumps are used for dewatering and liquids transfer in mining, constructions, municipal and industrial projects around the world.
The Role: The position of Field Operator is responsible for supporting the delivery, installation and operation of Xylem equipment on Xylem Service Center sites and/or customer job sites. The Field Operator will maintain a clean and orderly work site environment to enable safe and efficient movement of workers and motorized equipment throughout the site.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
Delivery & Yard Maintenance
- Identify all items to be delivered or picked up with customer to ensure completeness and accuracy. Perform visual inspection of equipment being picked up and note any damage. Obtain customer’s signature on appropriate paperwork.
- Utilize motorized equipment handling machinery to safely load equipment on and off trucks and trailers.
- Secure all items loaded on the truck for safe over-the-road travel in accordance with Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA), Federal Department of Transportation and local Department of Transportation guidelines.
- Assist in securing load utilizing straps and chains.
- Ensure yard and loading areas are clear of debris and trash; accessories and equipment are organized and easy to access.
- Follow all safety processes and procedures and maintain a ‘Safety First’ approach when completing daily work tasks. Complete a Job Safety Assessment before beginning any job on a customer site. Ensure compliance with all Personal Protective Equipment requirements.
Installation & Operation
- Travel locally to mobilize/demobilize small pump systems on customer job sites. Ensures pipeline, pump equipment and accessories are installed according to specification.
- Operate fusion machine to build HDPE (high-density polyethylene) pipelines on customer site to connect the pumping system. Ensure pumping system and pipeline meet operational requirements. Understand and react to how weather conditions effect HDPE fusion.
- Work independently or as part of a crew to install and dismantle pumping systems and pipelines on customer job sites.
- Review preliminary contracts to ensure all materials needed are identified and available. Update the sales staff should any materials change or the initial job set up changes.
- Initiate site introductions with customer and Outside Sales personnel. Establish customer expectations and clarify customer support.
- Establish communication with equipment operators.
- Prepare electronic work orders.
- Understand priming systems, options, remote systems and A-91 panels
- Apply proper measurements (center-to-center or face-to-face) to HDPE pipe. Calculate angles to ensure proper installation.
- Perform vacuum checks on installed pumping systems.
- Perform proper sequencing to break down pump systems and pipelines to avoid spills and/or contamination to surrounding work area. Properly flush systems.
- Safely utilize chain saws and other hand tools to properly cut and break down pipelines. Understand how and where to cut pipe to avoid spills, damage and excessive scrapping.
- Thoroughly inspect and evaluate condition of pipe, hose and fittings upon dismantling. Notify supervisor or site supervisor if any equipment is damaged.
- Prepare Bill of Ladings (BOLs) to load out equipment from job site. Coordinate with Xylem Service Center Manager to arrange proper timing of truck arrivals to ensure material handling equipment and/or personnel are available.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- High school or general equivalency degree
- One to two years experience in the construction industry preferred
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record; Class A preferred or willingness to upgrade Class B license
- Experience with flatbed trailers and proper load securement techniques (chaining, strapping, etc.)
- Prior experience operating heavy industrial equipment such as telehandlers, skid steers, air tuggers, etc.
- Prior experience fusing HDPE pipe ranging from 2 inch to 48 inch
- Ability to follow directions and work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work flexible hours in order to respond to customer emergencies
- Ability to read, write legibly and communicate effective with co-workers, supervisors/managers and customers both verbally and in writing
- Ability to read blue prints or other layout and design documents
- Basic computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to safely operate diesel powered hydraulic lifting equipment, i.e., forklifts, front-end loaders, towmotors, telehandlers, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to safely operate small and large diameter fusion machines
- Mechanical aptitude with ability to diagnose and repair simple mechanical issues
- Department of Transportation Medical card
- Fusion machine certification preferred
- Forklift certification preferred
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds)
- Full range of physical motions (standing, walking, bending, stooping, lifting, twisting, kneeling, climbing) associated with general labor work continually throughout 8 hours
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Shop environment: intermittent exposure to all outdoor weather conditions; intermittent exposure to shop noise and fumes all within limits of OSHA standards
- Manufacturing environment: may be exposed to loud noises, changing temperatures, machinery with moving parts and various materials
- Extended hours as needed (weekends, overtime and on-call rotations)
- Travel as required to fulfill the duties listed above or as required by the Company
EOE including disability and veteran