Director, Technical Accounting & Reporting
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Director of Technical Accounting and Reporting. The ideal candidate will supervise the technical accounting and SEC reporting groups, including 3 direct reports (total team of five). Provide accounting and reporting guidance and support throughout Xylem, as well as centralized corporate ownership of accounting policies (e.g. GAAP and SEC requirements), accounting for certain more complex areas, analytical and technical support for acquisitions and divestitures, assessment of the control environment including SOA compliance and liaison with external auditors.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide technical guidance to Xylem’s global finance organization on matters concerning GAAP and SEC reporting requirements, including purchase accounting, revenue recognition, business restructuring, leasing and hedge accounting items.
- Coordinate and supervise the development and implementation of new policies and procedures required to address new accounting guidance.
- Oversee the SEC reporting team responsible for the preparation of Xylem’s Forms 10-K and 10-Q. Includes managing the interface with other Xylem functions, including Investor Relations, Tax and Treasury, as necessary.
- Act as a liaison between Xylem, External Audit and Internal Audit on various accounting matters.
- Assist in the integration of newly acquired businesses, including the overseeing the preparation of the opening balance sheet and adoption of Xylem policies and procedures (i.e. purchase accounting).
- Provide training to Xylem’s global finance organization on technical accounting matters and Sarbanes Oxley requirements.
- Manage the accounting and reporting of stock-based compensation.
- Perform special projects and analyses as assigned by the CAO and Controller, Corporate.
- Review hedge accounting work performed by select business units.
- Manage Xylem’s annual impairment tests of indefinite lived intangible assets.
- Work with actuaries and management to set and document assumptions for all pension plans (~35 plans total, 15 with assets).
- Supervise the preparation, audit & filing of 5500s and financials as required.
- Supervise the preparation, audit & filing of Xylem’s 11-K.
- Work with treasury on funding/investment strategies.
- Manage all insurance related IBNR and accounting.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or business related field. CPA required. MBA in Accounting or Finance a plus.
- Minimum of 7 – 10+ years experience in Public Accounting firm and/or Controller’s functions of a major international Company. Combination of both a plus.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Computer skills necessary, preferably Microsoft Office (Excel, Word & Powerpoint).
- Knowledge of OneStream and Workiva a plus.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.