Lead Motor Control Engineer - Firmware
POSITION DATA SPECIFICATION
(Senior) Motor Control Firmware Engineer
Xylem Water Solutions India Private Limited, India
Kumaraswamy.MS & Indresh
Overview of Xylem
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
Brief Description/Job Summary
As a Technology Developer you will find yourself responsible for R & D, delivering technical work on client projects, project management as well as business development. At Xylem you will be working in a rapidly evolving industry at an exciting time for technologists developing solutions for the sustainability agenda. In order to be successful you will need to demonstrate leadership in pursuit of technical solutions and novel ideas, have a hands-on approach to problem solving and ultimately managing projects against time, budget and client expectations. Role Requirements The role is varied and you will be required to apply your problem solving skills on a daily basis. You should enjoy participating in a dynamic team, working towards deadlines and delivering excellent technical solutions. You will be required to communicate effectively in a wide range of environments, both with colleagues and clients and will have the opportunity to develop your negotiation skills. We are looking for a candidate who is able to design high performance sensor measurement and control systems.
These will be working on:
• New product research and development for the Sensus (Xylem’s brand) and Xylem product ranges
• Solution development and implementation for Xylem’s wide range of consultancy clients
As a Senior Motor Control Firmware Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Creating motor control software (for PMSM and asynchronous motors) for Variable Frequency Drives by reusing reference designs in the first place, followed on by the design and implementation of own motor control software library
- Implementing control software on a range of hardware designs
- Customizing the software to exact requirements of various internal and external clients
- Optimizing software components and algorithm to achieve required efficiency targets
- Safety aspects of the software components
- Motor safety software
- Liaising closely with the hardware team
- Creating and maintaining documentation for the software, including any relevant approvals and compliance requirements
- Working with manufacturing on production and configuration tasks
The candidate will require the following skills
- Bachelors in Engineering / Masters
- At least 10 years of job experience, with at least 5 years of recent experience within the motor drive industry
- Excellent working knowledge of techniques used for controlling various types of motors
- Experience in using TI DSP processors for motor control
- Good working knowledge of various software version control systems
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work on more than one task in parallel
- Ability to work from first principles
- A creative mind and hands-on problem solving abilities
- Good communication skills
- Experience of managing, coaching and helping to progress less experienced colleagues
Part 2 Describe the Person
A) Minimum professional and educational background desired (include years of experience)
- 4-Year bachelor’s degree in Instrumentation / Electrical / Electronics / Electronics & Communication
- 10+ year of relevant experience
- Excellent Communication skills with strong English in both written and spoken
B) Describe the most important competencies required of the individual
- Adaptive learner- Learns quickly; applying knowledge from one domain to another, asking questions, following procedures but also challenging set ways of doing things when appropriate. Always being curious and availing self of all sources of technical, market, competitor and customer information.
- Innovative Thinking- Creates exciting new products, systems or solutions that solve real-world customer problems and anticipate customer needs by challenging assumptions, thinking 'outside the box', generating new ideas, experimenting and being ready to take on risks, scanning other fields for new ideas, leveraging existing technology and constantly looking for ways to do things better.
- Cross-Boundary Collaborator - Collaborates effectively within his/her own team and across functional, business, geographic, and cultural boundaries, showing a willingness to work with others, share information and insight, and leverage different points of view. Proactively shares perspective and needed information with others in a timely and direct manner, helps others to achieve their goals. Works effectively within matrixed organizations across Xylem and collaborates on solutions that optimally address larger organization as well as local team goals.
Demonstrates sensitivity to interpersonal and cultural differences by adapting his or her own communication and working style appropriately, and acting in a respectful, inclusive way across geographic, cultural, functional, and organizational boundaries.
- Solution Design-Optimizes solutions for the customer based on the specification, balancing multiple variables to produce designs that meet customer needs and translating the customer's spoken and unspoken needs to compelling designs.
- Systems Thinking- Visualizes cause and effect relationships in complex systems, seeing connections between variables, deconstructing complex system problems down to discrete elements, foreseeing challenges before they become issues, understanding the effects of what-if scenarios and actions on products, systems, and customer applications.
- Technical Problem Solving - Solves complex technical problems with precision, differentiating symptom from root cause, utilizing all available tools, methods and resources and persisting in the face of obstacles
- Planning & Process Orientation- Demonstrates understanding of the complexity and risks involved in building products and systems and how all components integrate from design through manufacturing, anticipating issues, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of dependencies, and deploying successful mitigation strategies in order to effectively manage project plans, budgets and schedules. Drives the project with enthusiasm and confidence, remains upbeat in the face of setbacks, and keeps the group motivated and aligned to the goal. Encourages productive discussions that lead to innovation while maintaining needed discipline to keep the project moving forward within the defined scope. Establishes realistic commitments, and influences all parties to meet commitments with frequent, consistent follow-up conversations.
- Leading People & Tea-ms- Effectively communicates the Xylem vision and translates it into actions that advances the vision within one’s own organization, and establishes the appropriate performance standards and measures to achieve it, motivating and energizing others, and aligning goals and resources. Promotes individual & team accomplishments in a timely manner while holding individual members accountable for results. Ensures work is delegated to the lowest appropriate career stages and level, and enables teams/groups to make independent decisions by creating the appropriate environment for effective decision making. Selects and promotes the appropriate skills and capabilities aligned to the organizational mission to assemble high performing teams while ensuring team diversity is maintained and leveraged.
- Inspires accountability- Accepts responsibility for one’s own actions, results, and subsequent learning. Demonstrates drive and a willingness to challenge the status quo. Aligns words with action: follows through on commitments, and openly and proactively communicates when commitments will not be met. Communicates with candor and conviction: takes a point of view, “speaks up” especially when not in agreement. Does not allow passive resistance to take hold in the organization. Engages in constructive conflict; discusses issues openly and honestly, assuming good intent, seeking a positive resolution while not letting issues fester or linger. Seeks out diverse views to see multiple sides of an issue, reframing problems to better understand issues and bring out different views.
C) Other: Comment on items not included above
- Working Conditions
- Electrical test labs, high voltage potentials.
- Pump controls & test machines and rooms, high voltage potentials, mechanical hazards (moving machinery), high temperature hazards (hot metal, sparks)
- Occasional travel, both domestic and international
- Stamina and Adaptability
- Capable of working with cross functional team
- Adaptability to work with different work culture, time zones.
- Extensive lab testing, moving small equipment, etc.
Kumaraswamy.MS / Indresh