Manager, Technical Accounting
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Xylem seeks to hire a Manager of Technical Accounting. The ideal candidate will provide U.S. GAAP accounting and reporting guidance and support for Xylem, as well as assistance with accounting for certain more complex areas, including benefit and pension plan accounting and reporting, accounting for derivative instruments, intangible asset impairment testing, self-insurance for WAG, Captive and Medical/Dental. This role will also be responsible for assessing and helping drive the related control environment and SOA compliance.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Provide technical guidance on more complex matters concerning GAAP and SEC reporting requirements, acting as the key technical accounting liaison for our European and Emerging Market regions
- Assist in the development and implementation of new policies and procedures required to address new accounting guidance
- Work with actuaries and management to set and document assumptions for all pension plans (~35 plans total, 15 with assets)
- Coordinate with service providers to prepare, audit & file 5500s and financials as required
- Coordinate with service providers to prepare, audit & file 11-K
- Work with treasury on funding/investment strategies
- Provide guidance to select businesses on accounting for derivative instruments/hedging activity
- Work with actuary and HR to determine medical and dental IBNR and accounting
- Work with treasury (and actuary) to determine accounting for our WAG and Captive insurance plans
- Account reconciliation and consolidated reporting review for all technical accounting areas under management
- Establish review and evaluation for Xylem’s global Executive and Mid-management bonus plans
- Act as a liaison between Xylem, External audit and Internal audit on various accounting matters
- Assist in the integration of newly acquired businesses, including the preparation of the opening balance sheet and adoption of Xylem policies and procedures (i.e. purchase accounting)
- Provide training to finance professionals throughout Xylem on technical accounting matters and Sarbanes Oxley requirements
- Perform special projects and analyses as assigned by the Director of Technical Accounting and Controller, Corporate
- Prepare Xylem’s annual impairment tests of indefinite lived intangible assets
- Prepare footnotes on select accounting topics as required for inclusion in Xylem’s Form 10K and Form 10Q
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or business related field. CPA required.
- MBA in Accounting or Finance a plus. Minimum of 5 - 7 years’ experience in Public Accounting firm and/or Controller’s functions of a major international Company.
- Combination of both a plus. Supervisory experience required.
- Computer skills necessary, preferably Microsoft Office (Excel, Word & Powerpoint).
- Knowledge of OneStream and Workiva a plus.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: 10% or less
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.