Intern - Application Engineer - Summer 2020
1) The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
2) a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: The Applications Engineer will expand the sale and rental of Godwin Dri-Prime® equipment by assisting sales, service and operations with equipment selection, pumping system design and troubleshooting technical issues. The summer intern will support other application engineers on submittals and pump testing.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Assist in the preparation of submittal documents for customers.
- Perform hydraulic calculations to determine pump performance.
- Review product specifications to select pump related equipment.
- Assist with pump testing as required.
- Provide assistance to field technicians during job startups.
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Enrolled in program working towards a Bachelor Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical or Civil)
- Educational experience in related field; experience fluids classes preferred.
- Understanding of fluid hydraulics
- Ability to read and comprehend electrical wiring diagrams
- General knowledge of diesel engines
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize, meet deadlines and work independently with initiative in a fast paced environment
- Ability to collaborate and build effective relationships at all levels of the organization
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, MathCAD and Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel infrequently if needed for short periods of time
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Shop/Job Site: Intermittent exposure to job site conditions; e.g., gas fields, petrochemical refineries, mills, mines, construction sites, industrial/power plants, waste water treatment plants, etc.; intermittent exposure to shop noise and fumes.
- Office: Standard office equipment; work performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Travel: As required to fulfill the duties listed above. Other travel as needed or required by the company.
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.