Job ID 2021-2588
WebMD is the most recognized and trusted brand of health information and the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and WebMD the Magazine. The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD, Medscape, MedicineNet, eMedicine, RxList, theheart.org and Medscape Education. Our consumer portals and mobile health applications provide engaging, relevant and credible health and wellness information, personalized health assessment tools and access to online communities.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
WebMD is looking for a Data Engineer with a diverse background in data integration to join the Data Management team. You don’t need to be a doctor to work at WebMD, but we’re looking for individuals who can diagnose and cure any data problems. Some data is small, some data is very large (1 trillion+), some data is structured, some data is not. Our data comes in all kinds of sizes and shapes, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Vertica, MongoDB, HIVE to name a few. We run on physical hosts, VM farm in our datacenter and some on AWS.
You will be responsible for collaborating with web developers, mobile developers, data scientists and business intelligence teams to design and develop custom data solutions. This position is not for you if you are looking for direct instructions or supervision. We are looking for individuals who can solve any problems on their own, design a solution and make your own decisions. You will be making a direct impact to the business and the bottom line.
Besides a competitive compensation package, you’ll be working with a great group of technologists interested in finding the right database to use, the right tool for the job in a culture that encourages innovation. If you’re ready to step up and take on some new technical challenges at a well-respected company, this is a unique opportunity for you.
- Design, develop and support multiple data projects in traditional relational databases such as Oracle, MSSQL and PostgreSQL as well as non-traditional database such as HIVE, Vertica and Snowflake.
- Analyze business requirements, design and implement required data model and ETL/ELT processes on your own
- Participate in data architecture and engineering decision making/planning
- Create an enterprise level data inventory regardless of source, format, structure
- Connect, integrate, join different datasets and databases
- Translate complex technical subjects into terms that can be understood by both technical and non-technical audiences
Qualifications: (must have)
- College degree in information technology or equivalent years of experience
- 3+ years of experience with database development on Oracle, MSSQL or PostgreSQL
- 2+ years of experience on the Hadoop ecosystem. Programmed or worked with key data components such as HIVE, Spark and Sqoop moving and processing terabyte level of data
- 1+ years of experience with big data databases such as Vertica, Snowflake or Redshift
- Programming skills in either Python or Java
- Strong communication and documentation skill is absolutely required for this role as you will be working directly with both technical and non-technical teams
- Self-motivated, willingness to learn new technologies and business and willing to take initiative beyond basic responsibilities
- Requires minimal or no direct supervision
Desired: (nice to have)
- Experience in shell scripting languages (Bash or Bourne)
- Experience with the ETL tools such as Pentaho or Talend
- Hadoop administration experience a plus, but not required
- Web analytics or Business Intelligence a plus
- Understanding of Ad stack and data (Ad Servers, DSM, Programmatic, DMP, etc)