Editor - Physician Publication
Job ID 2021-2755
Frontline Medical Communications, Inc., a division of Medscape, is one of the healthcare industry's largest medical communications companies and a leader in digital, print, and live events. The Company leads in HCP-level targeting and is ranked 1st in combined web and print engagements. With MDedge?, our state-of-the-art integrated web portal, and audited email database, FMC meets the marketing challenges of our clients with superior reach, optimal sponsorship opportunities, and flexible advertising programs. FMC delivers award-winning, indexed, clinical reviews; practice and policy information; and medical news daily from on-site reporting at major medical meetings, many in collaboration with notable societies, medical associations, and opinion leaders. FMC produces live events, digital click-for-credit, and CME in affiliation with Global Academy for Medical Education, LLC and Hemedicus.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
This position is responsible for all editorial content for the CHEST Physician website, the monthly print CHEST Physician newspaper, and related microsites and newsletters. The editor should ensure efficient and effective execution of all tasks within agreed priorities, budgets, and deadlines and work under minimal supervision. Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Conceptualize specialty-specific news and meeting coverage assignments for the web site, print issues, and a wide variety of newsletters
- Oversee the complete production cycle for monthly print issues, including selection and placement of articles, headline approvals, cutting/fitting content, collaboration with designer and production personnel, and cold-read changes
- Work collaboratively with CHEST staff and physician editors to get approval for all content before it is published in print
- Attend key specialty meetings, coordinating daily deadlines for digital content including articles/newsletters and videos/roundtables
- Attend the annual editorial board meeting. Prepare written report and slides and guide editorial discussion during the meeting
- Review key specialty journals and medical news outlets
- Monitor competing information sources
- Edit articles to verify accuracy, rewriting as needed as well as evaluating and integrating perspectives from editorial reviewers
- Develop and acquire supporting content as needed to enhance articles, images, and resource material
- Maintain contact with Board members as needed to assure the direction of content offerings meets the needs of the specialty
- Advise special projects (Exclusive Editorial Destinations) group on editorial aspects of projects. Create content as requested.
- Edit relevant daily content for web
- Collaborate with relevant staff to enhance online content with value-added information such as graphics, photos, video, audio, original source documents, etc.
- Approve articles and subject lines for newsletters
- Collaborate on social media initiatives
- Acumen to deliver consistently high-quality editorial in multiple formats to capture and maintain the interest of physicians and reflect a high standard of literacy and accuracy,
- High degree of professionalism and collaborative skill evidenced in ability to interact with multiple CHEST staff members and physician editors on competing projects in a tight-deadline environment,
- High productivity evidenced in ability to meet daily digital and print deadlines and perform tasks on schedule to meet embargoes,
- Editing of individual stories to verify accuracy and reflect good news judgment,
- High reliability and availability so that the editor can fill in for other editors for vacations, illness, or special projects,
- Interpersonal skills to meet demands imposed by sharing a staff tasked with developing content for specialty-specific web sites, online publication extensions including supplements, resource centers, and microsites,
- Flexibility and creativity to meet the needs of specialist readers in a competitive multimedia environment.
Journalism skills and knowledge to include:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in substantive editing of medical news and features,
- College degree in journalism, English, communications or a related field,
- A high level of reporting and editing skills and a sophisticated understanding of medicine in general, including pulmonology,
- Ability to perform both online and print editorial processes, write headlines and captions, and solve editorial problems rapidly,
- Computer skills to include working in online environments and content management systems,
- Interpersonal skills and a team player attitude.