Job ID 2021-2755
The MDedge™ Network offers physicians and health care professionals medical news, clinical reviews, expert commentary, conference coverage, and learning programs from trusted and credible sources. MDedge, a part of the WebMD/Medscape Network, comprises 35+ specialty-specific websites and publications as well as medical education, a career center, and other professional tools, designed to keep clinicians informed and save them time.
MDedge Editorial is seeking an oncology editor for the MDedge/hematology-oncology website, which offers the latest specialty news and expert perspectives including onsite conference coverage, summaries from the journals, and regulatory and approval news from the U.S. and around the world.
The person in this position must demonstrate a high level of reporting and editing skills and a sophisticated understanding of medicine in general, including oncology. Tasks include assigning articles and other content for the web site, newsletters, and special print supplements; editing articles; and working with affiliated staff such as reporters and associate editors, as well as collaborating on joint projects with the Medscape editorial team.
The ideal candidate must be able to multitask, as well as work both independently (under minimal supervision) and collaborate in a team environment. The candidate must have experience in publishing and superb written and communication skills. The ability to work well under pressure in a deadline-driven environment is essential.All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
This position is responsible for all oncology content for the MDedge/hematology-oncology website and related microsites and newsletters. The editor should fulfill the following tasks within agreed priorities, budgets, and deadlines and work under minimal supervision. Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Conceptualize specialty-specific news and meeting coverage assignments for the web site and a wide variety of newsletters
- Attend key specialty meetings, coordinating daily deadlines for digital content including articles and newsletters
- Collaborate with editorial team at Medscape on joint projects and coordinated news coverage
- Regularly analyze traffic metrics and audience engagement as part of strategic editorial planning
- Review key specialty journals and medical news outlets
- Monitor competing information sources
- Manage freelance writers and recruit new freelance writers as needed to fulfill editorial responsibilities
- Recruit physician contributors for commentary and opinion articles
- Advise special projects (Exclusive Editorial Destinations) group on editorial aspects of projects. Create content as requested.
- Maintain website daily and edit daily content for web
- Collaborate with relevant staff to enhance online content with value-added information such as graphics, photos, video, audio, original source documents, etc.
- Collaborate on social media initiatives
- Acumen to deliver consistently high-quality editorial in multiple formats to capture and maintain the interest of physicians and reflect a high standard of literacy and accuracy,
- High productivity evidenced in ability to meet daily digital deadlines and perform tasks on schedule to meet embargoes,
- Editing of individual stories to verify accuracy and reflect good news judgment,
- High reliability and availability so that the editor can fill in for other editors for vacations, illness, or special projects,
- Interpersonal skills to meet demands imposed by sharing responsibilities across a staff tasked with developing content for specialty-specific web sites, online publication extensions including supplements, resource centers, and microsites,
- Flexibility and creativity to meet the needs of specialist readers in a competitive multimedia environment.
Journalism skills and knowledge to include:
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in advanced news writing and substantive editing,
- College degree in journalism, English, communications or a related field,
- A high level of reporting and editing skills and a sophisticated understanding of medicine in general, including oncology,
- Experience managing freelance writers and editorial contributors,
- Ability to write headlines and captions and solve editorial problems rapidly,
- Computer skills to include working in online environments and content management systems,
- Interpersonal skills and a team player attitude.