Associate Health Editor
Job ID 2021-3133
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Medscape is seeking a medical editor, reporting to the Medscape Oncology Editor. The Associate Editor will work with the Oncology Editor to review journals for potential studies for news coverage, brainstorm unique story ideas, assign some news coverage to staff and freelance writers, edit news articles, write oncology news articles as needed, produce newsletters, and other editorial tasks. This position requires basic medical knowledge, solid medical news writing and interviewing skills, attention to detail, ability to meet tight deadlines, and work with others in a virtual environment.
- Acumen to deliver consistently high-quality news maintain the interest of physicians and reflect a high standard of literacy and accuracy,
- High productivity evidenced in ability to meet deadlines and perform tasks on schedule to meet embargoes,
- Editing of individual stories for accuracy, balance, timeliness, and relevance to the specialty,
- High reliability and availability so that the associate editor can fill in for other editors during vacations, illness, or special projects,
- Flexibility and creativity to meet the needs of specialist readers in a competitive multimedia environment.
- 2+ years in medical news editing and reporting; experience with news for clinicians a plus
- Minimum of a college degree
- Familiarity and comfort with writing for online publication