Job ID 2021-3077
Medscape, a division of WebMD, develops and hosts physician portals and related mobile applications that make it easier for physicians and healthcare professionals to access clinical reference sources, stay abreast of the latest clinical information, learn about new treatment options, earn continuing medical education credits and communicate with peers.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
The Junior Editor for the Medscape UK Edition will report to the UK Managing Editor.
The Junior Editor will be responsible for publishing daily content, using the Medscape Content Management System/s (CMS).
The Junior Editor will build the Editorial weekly newsletters and support the Marketing Weekly newsletters, by providing input and review.
The Junior Editor will be keeping track of the content lifecycle, under the guidance and supervision of the Managing Editor:
- Helping to assign content for the UK audience to writers and liaising with US editors and colleagues to plan coverage.
- Ensuring content is copy edited for medical accuracy and following the Medscape UK style guide.
- Arranging for final content to be published and checking articles display correcting online.
- Using systems and spreadsheets to maintain tracking of assignments and published articles.
- The Junior Editor will be required to write some content for a health professional audience.
- The Junior Editor will deputise for the Managing Editor at times.
The Junior Editor will interact daily with the Managing Editor, who will be selecting the content, at least in the beginning. As the Junior Editor becomes more confident and experienced in the role, they will be able to start selecting content to populate the site.
Organization is key to the role to keep track of assignments, syndicated content, translations from other languages, posting content, and building newsletters. This will involve multiple tools, systems, and internal processes.
The Junior Editor will be involved in the production of high-quality medical journalism and will have the opportunity to participate in several editorial meetings every week. Medscape is a fertile ground for development in this field.
Country of origin and residence: UK
Proven expertise with Content Management Systems (CMS) and digital platforms is a must.
British English as a first language.
Journalism experience is a must. A medical or science journalism background is a plus.
Multimedia experience, including basic Adobe Photoshop photo editing and basic Adobe Premiere video editing, is a plus but training can be given.